13 Ways to Ace School Girl Style like Taylor Swift
We interrupt your regularly programmed 1989 jam session to bring you Taylor Swift’s latest schoolgirl-inspired look. Earlier this week, the spunky songstress stunned in this tartan-patterned dress with a Peter Pan collar getting off a flight in Tokyo. (We knew she could do red carpet, but to look this impeccable after a 12+ hour flight? Come on.) As with all of T-Swizzle’s adorably chic threads, this outfit is one worth coveting. But shake off that closet envy, because this dress, purse and shoes are all pieces that you can own without being in the Red.
Paired with a bordeaux crossbody bag ($50) and block heeled Mary Janes ($150), Taylor keeps it preppy for her new pop sound. She’s not the only one who’s rocking this scholarly trend on the streets. GOOP-tress Gwyneth Paltrow was recently spotted sporting her take on the traditional uniform in NYC. We knew they weren’t completely Clueless, but it seems like Cher and Dionne were schooling us style-wise with their plaid mini skirts, peeking collars and cuffs, cardigans and sweater vests and knee high socks. Take notes from these 13 preppy looks to test out this season. Without question, you’ll get the top grade in the class.
1. Miss Patina Pembroke Dress ($105): Long sleeved dresses are a perfect way to stay flirty and feminine as the temps (and snow) start to fall. That’s right, you can nab T. Swift’s frock without breaking the bank.
3. Scholarly Shift: Just because you graduated years ago doesn’t mean you can’t keep up with this trend. Layer a crisp white button-down ($23) under a structured shift and pair with bold, boardroom-ready accessories to complete this polished, professional look. (via Pop Sugar)
6. Classy Cardigans: We XOXO this Blair Waldorf-inspired ensemble. Touches like a mini-bow tie and a mixed media tribal cardigan (that borders ugly Christmas sweater) make us smile. (via Street Style)
7. Break Out That Backpack: If you thought leather mini-backpacks were so last decade, think again. Remember how roomy these guys were? Plenty of space for a couple of CDs and your Walkman. (via Collage Vintage)
10. Knit Knowledge: Margie’s cardigan and knit knee-highs channel the school girl sweetness. While this version is sold out, ModCloth has plenty of plaid frocks for you to choose from. Check out the embroidered hem on this Yumi dress ($125). (via Margie Plus)
Which schoolgirl look is your favorite? Leave us a note in the comments below!