When the fads are over and the trends are done, when the movie-themed palettes and crazy nail colors are all sold out, we return to the products that our mothers and grandmothers have loved before us. You know we dig trying out new trends, but there’s something so enviable about truly classic beauties — and we’re not just talking about Audrey Hepburn. Nope, we’re talking about those superpower drugstore goodies and OG splurge-worthy skincare products that are timeless for a reason. Because they work. None of these 24 tried and true products added to your vanity will disappoint.
1. Maybelline Great Lash Mascara ($6): We know you’ve tried every mascara in the bunch, from the cheapest-of-the-cheap to just-don’t-show-me-the-pricetag, but Great Lash still manages to floor the competition. And now that Maybelline has released more colors and varieties, really we see no reason to try anything else.
2. Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion ($20): We’ve all fallen prey to summer makeup meltdowns. Save your skin with a face primer, and save your eyeshadow (and make colors pop!) with UD’s eyeshadow primer.
3. Lancôme Bi-Facil Eye Makeup Remover ($28): In the world of beauty brands, Lancôme is queen, and no wonder with this soothing, non-drying remover. It’s basically a Holy Grail product.
4. Redken Color Extend Shampoo + Conditioner ($15): We know everyone and their mother has used Redken products at some point. The Color Extend line continues to be one of the most popular as it protects your precious color. If you haven’t yet, we suggest trying the new Color Extend Magnetics shampoo and conditioner. The sulfate-free formula is even more gentle on your color and nourishing to your hair.
5. L’Oréal Elnett Satin Hairspray ($15): Fuh-get about that fancy, pricy hairsprays, we’ll take Elnett every time. Our pick is the UV filter option, perfect for summer adventuring.
6. Liquid Neutrogena Face Wash ($8): The original. The one. The only. It may have been the first face wash to join your fight against teenage acne, and you know it will still be by your side years down the line.
7. Chanel No. 5 Perfume ($125): If any product on this list just exudes timeless elegance, it’s Chanel no. 5. It’s been going strong since 1921, so imagine what amazing women have spritzed it over the years!?
8. MAC Lipstick in Russian Red ($16): The right red lipstick belongs in every woman’s beauty arsenal. We love MAC’s smooth and creamy formula, and their abundance of shades guarantees you many options.
9. Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum ($19): This product is a one-two punch for bad hair days. It smooths fly-aways and frizz while also moisturizing, preventing future issues. We suggest a full-size bottle for your medicine cabinet, and a travel-size for your purse.
10. Pond’s Cold Cream Cleanser ($8): That’s right, your grandmother’s skin secret deserves a place at the star table. Pond’s removes makeup and moisturizes for a one-step nighttime routine that will keep you looking 25 forever (almost).
12. Neutrogena Body Oil ($10): You’ve heard the old tales about women lathering up with olive oil instead of lotion post-shower? Turns out they knew one of the secrets of youth. Neutrogena’s sesame oil formula is non-comedogenic and it will keep you soft as a baby’s you-know-what.
14. Dior Diorshow Mascara ($25): Long a secret for Dior catwalk shows, this mascara is now a favorite for lashes that wow.
16. Morrocco Method Boar Bristle Brush ($39): When you were young, you may have been instructed to brush your hair for 100 strokes every day for shin and lustre. You were probably missing one part of that equation. A boar bristle brush is the key for distributing scalp oils throughout the hair shaft, guaranteeing gorgeous Rita Hayworth-esque waves.
17. Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser ($11): You can go in for the fancy, dermatologist-approved cleansers, but when those fail or your skin just needs a break and some TLC, Cetaphil’s gentle cleanser will always be there for you.
19. Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Synchonized Recovery Complex II ($62): If you think you follow all the latest and greatest skincare advice to a T, but feel like your face is missing something, adding a serum to your nighttime routine might be the answer. Nighttime is when our body rebuilds and recovers from the abuse we heap on it in the day, and serum serves to seal in all the good you did with cleansing and moisturizing before bed.
20. Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion+ ($26): Your skin does so many great things for you, give a little back with Clinique’s fab moisturizer. It’s light enough for daytime wear but it provides a major hydration boost with every use.
21. Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat Radiant Touch ($41): Desperate to erase the signs of fatigue or overindulgence? This under-eye concealer pen is your best friend — it’s rest and rehydration in one eye-brightening formula.
23. Clarins Eye Wrinkle Smoothing Cream ($61): You may think under-eye creams are for older women, once those dreaded crows’ feet manifest. But a good eye cream is actually your best way to fend off their arrival.
What fave beauty products do you always keep on hand? Give a gal a hand and share your secrets in the comments!