The 15 Best Red Hairstyles in Summer’s New Hot Hue
Calling all wannabe Joans and Emma Stones, have we got a hue for you! Within our rainbow of red hair colors, we have a shade for everyone — from a subtle strawberry blonde to an out-and-out orange. This season, we’re reclaiming the title of summer color from blondes, so if you’ve been waffling on going red… now is the time! And if you’re not quite ready to take the plunge, you can still get in on some short-term action with hair chalk or henna dye. Check out these 15 inspirational shades of red to help you decide which is the one for you.
1. Strawberry Blonde Highlights: Keep it subtle with just a hint of red in your highlights, like Scarlett Johansson. This is great for warming up your blonde tones, while providing a segue for potentially going bolder. (via Scarlett Johansson Fans)
3. Natural Copper Red: Jayma Mays brings it up a level with a more multidimensional color. We’re approaching more of a true ginger here, but as long as you go for the right hue, this color could work on any skin tone. (via Celeb Mafia)
4. Bright Copper: Another one of our fave redheads, Emma Stone’s shiny locks also come from a bottle. This is great news for us, because it means we can steal them! We love how this color is just a little lighter at the top, suggesting a natural, sun-kissed look. (via Us Weekly + Featured Image via Revlon)
6. The Ginge: Here’s another gorgeous color that can be tinted to suit everyone. Be warned though, it’s not for the faint of heart. It requires some upkeep, but pairs amazingly with cherry red lips like Karen Gillan’s. (via Marvel Movies)
7. Subtle Chestnut Ombre: Calling all brunettes, jump on two trend bandwagons with Olivia’s look! This ombre is so subtle it looks natural, but the dash of red at the ends keeps it from being boring. (via Beauty Editor)
8. Absolute Auburn: She may be rocking orange locks this summer, but we’ll always love KStew’s rich auburn tresses. This color is bright and eye-catching while still being simple. If you’re going to get your red out of a box, we vote for this one. (via Pop Sugar)
9. Chocolate and Auburn Mix: A-list mom-to-be Mila Kunis knows multi-tonal color is awesome for summertime because hair will catch and reflect the sunlight. Mixing some red into your natural color, or incorporating it into your shade of choice, will guarantee you beach babe beauty. (via My Beauty Rules)
10. Plum Red: Obvi this is not one of those, “I promise this is my natural color!” shades, but if you have dark hair it’s a gorgeous way to mix things up. This purplish-red tone will definitely turn heads. (via Global Fashion Initiative)
11. Golden Mahogany: As usual, Queen Bey is fab in every sense of the word. Here, we’re drooling over her perfect shiny waves. She combines the glow of a blonde with the warmth of a red wood tone for a total to-die-for color. (via Britannica)
12. Cherry Red: This might be our fave color in this roundup. It’s loud, it’s proud, it’s RiRi. This bright cherry color with purple undertones looks especially dreamy on those with olive-toned skin, but we bet it could be suited to anyone. (via 29 Secrets)
13. Berry Highlights: British songstress Cheryl Cole shows even redheads can get away with roots, especially when they’re framing berry-hued strands. The best part? She does it herself! There’s hope for all of us who’ve made the color-in-a-box mistake. (via Daily Mail)
14. Highlight/Dip Dye/Hair Chalk: The perfect option for those reluctant to mess with a good thing! Try out some red (or pink) with a highlight or temporary option. While we love Xtina’s glamorous platinum and pink combo, we’d love it even more if we could wash it out the next day, no questions asked. (via Huffington Post)
15. On Fire: And finally, don’t underestimate the power of jumping in with both feet. While the subtle transition can be nice, sometimes your hair calls for a drastic change. Hayley Williams’ tangerine hue could be just the move you’re looking to make. (via ATRL)
Are you ready to trade in your current shade for some red locks? Let us know what color you’re going for in the comments below!