All That Jazz: ’20s Inspired Wedding Dresses
To quote our beloved Fergie, “A little party never killed nobody.” The roaring ’20s were all about the party, from secretive speakeasies to champagne fountains and feathers galore. Incorporate the festive personality of this epic decade into your wedding day with a gown gorgeous enough to make Gatsby swoon. We’re talking drop-waist cuts, delicate straps and intricate beading. Here’s to a vintage-inspired “I do.”
1. Blushing, Beaded Bride: Everybody wears lace and organza, but that’s so last season. Bring down the volume and amp up the sequins and beading for a dress that is ‘20s inspired and totally on trend for this year. (via Wedding Party)
2. Dress of a Different Color: Ladies of the ‘20s played by their own rules, and you can, too. Vintage wedding rings and dresses were often in any color but white. Three Nails Photography nailed this Gatsby-themed shoot with gowns that could easily double as wedding or reception dresses. (via Three Nails Photography)
3. Sleeves, Please: We’re bringin’ modesty back with capped and quarter-length sleeves. The ‘20s are all about subtle seduction and playing it coy, and this dress invokes a little mystery. (via Special Event Rentals)
4. Fringe Benefits: The trick here is making sure you don’t look like you’re sporting the classic flapper girl Halloween costume. Add sophistication with a high-end headpiece and a minimal, classic makeup look. (via Colin Cowie Weddings)
5. Jazz Age: Custom-made dresses are cheaper than you think. Budding designers, private labels and innovative, in-house tailors are all resources for helping you wear a uniquely made wedding dress. This one is not only unique, it’s also as Prohibition Era as gin and jazz. (via Brighton Photo)
8. Metallic Stunner: Even if you aren’t interested in a full ‘20s theme, don’t be afraid to go bold with your dress choice. This metallic dress has plenty of art deco pizazz and makes a big statement in a muted wedding palette. (via Rock My Wedding)
9. Rustic Elegance: The ‘20s and ‘30s were characterized by polar opposites — the snazzy, big city life and the quiet, pastoral country retreat. This dress is still on trend, but connotes a rustic elegance. (via Brighton Photo)
10. Perfect Fit: This dress joins today’s fit with art deco design elements, like beading and light touches of sheer organza. If you can’t fully commit to a ‘20s theme, this is a great compromise (via Style Unveiled)
11. Flapper Girl, Flapper Girl: A faux fur bolero and a strand of pearls (or two) is the recipe for a roaring good time on your wedding day. Just promise us you’ll do the Charleston at your reception, martini in hand. (via Love My Dress)
18. Backless Flapper Dress ($599): If you want to stun guests as you go down the aisle, a show-stopping back is the way to go. An updo with this gown is a must — hiding details this fabulous would be a fashion felony.
Are you planning a wedding in 2015? Thinking about a ’20s-inspired dress or a full Jazz Era event? Tell us in the comments!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)