In a world where grain bowls are thriving, quinoa and rice have been getting ALL of the attention. Because of that, there’s a fab ancient grain out there that you might be overlooking. Freekeh (pronounced free-kah) is derived from green durum wheat and, like many of our other fave super grains, it offers a plethora of nutrients including protein, dietary fiber and B vitamins. Feed your curiosity and skip the rice; put freekeh on your dinner plate by trying one (or all!) of these 12 amazing recipes.
2. Freekeh Beet Burgers With Avonaise: Magical things happen when you blend wholesome ingredients like freekeh and beetroot. Thanks to their nutritional values, the end result is a veggie burger that is as healthy as it is tasty. (via The Secret Life of Bee)
3. Roasted Cauliflower, Freekeh and Garlicky Tahini Sauce: The cauliflower craze is real, but the true star in this dish is the grain. (via Cookie and Kate)
4. Freekeh Bowl With Roasted Red Pepper, Walnut and Tahini Sauce: If you’ve been staying on top of healthy food fads, then you’re already aware that grain bowls are all the rage. This freekeh bowl is no different, and this super grain will have you hooked. (via Coffee and Crayons)
5. Whole Grain Freekeh Risotto With Mushrooms and Asparagus: Switch things up by replacing rice with freekeh; it’s everything that is creamy and dreamy. (via Not Starving Yet)
6. Homemade Grain Blend With Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Walnuts: When it comes to veggie sides, roasted Brussels sprouts are hard to pass on — especially when tossed with crunchy walnuts. This dish does one better by bringing that side into a bowl of grains for a solid entree. (via A Better Happier St. Sebastian)
8. Roast Vegetable and Freekeh Salad: This flavor-packed vegan dish is what eating wholesome is all about. Roasted veggies are tossed with tender freekeh and briny olives to tickle those tastebuds. (via She Cooks, She Gardens)
9. Freekeh With Fennel: They say you should fill half of your plate with veggies, but we’re totally okay with an entire bowlful of them — especially when tossed with healthful grains. (via Simone’s Kitchen)
10. Ancient Grains Salad With Freekeh: This filling ancient grains salad isn’t just a pretty dish. It’s incredibly healthy and flexible, so you can swap ingredients to your taste and always come out with something that is satisfying and delish. (via Wild Greens and Sardines)
11. Freekeh and Leek Salad With Miso Dressing: Quick and easy dinners don’t have to be from a box, and they certainly don’t have to lack nutrition. In just 20 minutes you can be fueling up and feeling good with this wholesome freekeh salad. (via The Flexitarian)
12. Spring Freekeh Salad With Asparagus, Peas and Radishes: Jump into spring early with this bright and beautiful bowl of goodness. Sweet peas, peppery radishes and asparagus offer up the essence of spring we’re all longing for in this yummy dinner option. (via The Corner Kitchen)
Follow us on Pinterest for more tasty Meatless Monday inspo.