15 Great-Tasting Grain Bowls You Should Pack for Lunch
Need a break from potato and pasta salad? Switch up your summer menu with healthy, hearty grain bowls. Featuring filling bases like wild rice, quinoa and farro, these 15 dishes are just perfect for lunch, dinner or even a potluck picnic or pool party. Serve one today and tell everyone to dig right in. We’re sure your friends will enjoy the change of pace just as much as you do.
2. Greek Shrimp Farro Bowl: For a light-but-filling lunch, toss together this Greek salad-inspired farro grain bowl. Deliciously flavored with garlic, oregano and feta cheese, it showcases summertime favorites like shrimp, cucumber and tomatoes. (via Impromptu Kitchen)
3. Chili-Lime Shrimp Bowl: Skip your next fast food run and whip up this chili-lime bowl right from the comfort of your own kitchen. Along with making it easy to get your shrimp and pineapple fix, the recipe feeds six for just $10.50 in ingredients. Take that, Chipotle. (via Budget Bytes)
4. Israeli Couscous + Artichoke Bowl: Bring some Mediterranean flair to your next backyard bash with the help of this crowd-pleasing couscous and artichoke bowl. It’s a great way to eat healthy while feasting on olives, mozzarella balls and chickpeas. (via The Mediterranean Dish)
5. Teriyaki Salmon Rice Bowl: Had your fill of teriyaki chicken this summer? Go ahead and use your fave glaze on salmon as a fun way to change things up. Here, the flavorful fish takes center stage alongside sushi rice, spinach and avocado. (via Panning the Globe)
6. Green Goddess Glow Bowl: This gorgeous green bowl is sure to make you the envy of the office come noon. We just love its uber-healthy blend of quinoa, kale, edamame, zucchini and homemade tahini-lemon dressing. (via The Glowing Fridge)
7. Avocado Amaranth Israeli Salad Bowl: Not familiar with amaranth? It’s an Aztec seed that can be combined with quinoa to create this tasty Israeli salad. Try it yourself to shake things up at lunchtime. (via What Jew Wanna Eat)
8. Spicy Quinoa Taco Bowl: Spice up your summer nights with this better-for-you take on a Tex-Mex classic. Complete with taco-seasoned quinoa, tortilla strips, black beans and corn, it’s sure to become a fast favorite. (via One Ingredient Chef)
9. Rainbow Veggie Bowl: Loaded with healthy veggies (snap peas, cucumber and cherry tomatoes) and topped with jalapeño-ranch dressing, this bowl would probably be delectable even without the addition of sprouted lentils and a hearty grain like farro. Of course, it’s definitely better when you include them. (via Pinch of Yum)
10. Greek Goddess Grain Bowl: Channel your inner Greek goddess by noshing on a mouthwatering mix of fried halloumi cheese, hard-boiled eggs, toasted seeds and vegetables galore. For its base, this dish also boasts an eclectic blend of raw grains, including quinoa, couscous, bulgar and wild rice. Filling and flavorful, indeed. (via Half Baked Harvest)
11. Mediterranean Vegan Bowl: Talk about a beautiful bowl. We can hardly wait to sink our teeth into this artful array of cucumber, bell pepper, grape tomatoes, olives, chickpeas, quinoa and hummus. (via Culinary Hill)
12. Peanut Quinoa Bowl: Peanut lovers, rejoice. This baked tofu, bell pepper and quinoa bowl features a simple, homemade peanut sauce so tantalizing that you’ll be pouring it over stir-fries well into the future. Best of all, you can easily keep this meal in rotation all year long by mixing in your favorite seasonal veggies. (via Oh My Veggies)
14. Ratatouille Barley Salad Bowl: Even Remy the rat would surely approve of this unique recipe featuring classic ingredients like eggplant and zucchini. The pearled barley and agave nectar add a unique (and tasty) twist to an old classic. (via Sprouted Kitchen)
15. Deconstructed Falafel Bowl: Want to enjoy the flavor of falafel without the actual effort of creating it? Give this quinoa-veggie bowl a whirl whenever you’ve got a hankering for the real thing but are running short on time. (via Vegan Insanity)
What’s your favorite grain bowl recipe? Dish up some delicious inspiration below.