19 Cauliflower Recipes to Hack Your Favorite Comfort Foods
Cauliflower is *definitely* making a comeback as your go-to powerhouse veggie. Remember when Cauliflower rice recipes were all the rage? Before that, everyone went crazy for the ever-popular cauliflower pizza. Now that everyone knows the veggie is the chameleon of the vegetable world, healthy recipes are popping up, transforming the stuff into all of your favorite comfort foods. Name any dish and you can probably make a delicious and way healthier version of it using cauliflower. Now that you’re sufficiently intrigued, keep scrolling for 19 healthy comfort foods featuring cauliflower as the main ingredient.
1. Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce: While homemade Alfredo is always a crowd pleaser, it tends to be full of fat and calories. Not to mention it’s definitely not vegan friendly. Try rotating your classic recipe with this cauliflower version that will blow your mind. Seriously, you won’t understand how amazing this sauce is until you try it. (via Brit + Co)
2. Cauliflower Buffalo Wings With Blue Cheese Avocado Dip: Some of the best culinary secrets are unlikely pairings. That statement rings true for these deceptive buffalo “wings.” You wouldn’t think a floret of cauliflower could as indulgent as a chicken wing, but it is — especially when dipped in a tangy blue cheese sauce. (via Well Plated)
3. Cajun Shrimp and Cauliflower Grits With Greens: Shrimp and grits is a traditional down-home favorite of a lot of southerners. When you pulse raw cauliflower in your food processor until it’s fine, it develops a texture that’s very similar to grits. They’re also ready in a fraction of the time of traditional corn grits. (via Get Inspired Everyday)
4. Beer Battered Cauliflower Fritters: Maybe you’re trying to cut back on meat a bit, or maybe you just want a fried vegetable to serve alongside your mozzarella sticks and chicken wings. Either way, these fritters are a light and crispy addition to any game-day spread. (via Easy Food Smith)
5. Cauliflower “Rice” Stir Fry Bowl: Swapping cauliflower for rice is really a no-brainer. Rice is extremely temperamental; it takes at least 40 minutes to cook, and half of the time it sticks to the bottom of the pan. Ain’t nobody got time for that! Cauliflower is just as filling, absorbs any flavor you add to it and takes 20 minutes, max. (via Veggie Chick)
6. Thai Chicken Cauliflower Casserole: You know how a lot of casseroles have yucky cream of X soup in them? In this casserole, pureed cauliflower is the binder, holding together loads of other veggies, chicken and Thai spices. You can feel great about serving this casserole to a crowd, because it’s wholesome and delicious. (via Food Faith Fitness)
7. Roasted Cauliflower Chimichurri: There’s nothing wrong with letting cauliflower be itself sometimes! Sure, we love turning it into something shockingly out of the ordinary. But when it’s covered in a sauce as flavorful as a garlic and herb chimichurri, there’s really no reason to hide it. (via Root and Revel)
8. Cauliflower Pizza Muffins: Everyone knows that it can be a struggle to get the kiddos to eat their veggies. That’s why you *sometimes* have to hide them in their pizza. They’ll be so in love with these muffin-sized pies, they’ll never notice the crust is made from cauliflower. (via Kirbie’s Cravings)
9. Cauliflower and Leek Soup: This velvety bowl of comfort is perfect for those nights when there’s a slight chill to the air and you want to enjoy something warm and hearty. Cauliflower makes this soup extra creamy. Top your soup with fresh herbs and salty bacon for even more flavor. (via Salt and Lavender)
10. Chickpea Cauliflower Chili: Even the most carnivorous members of your family will love this vegetarian chili. It’s a stick-to-your-ribs kind of stew, with lots of flavor to back it up. The secret spice that brings everything together? Cinnamon. (via Bakeaholic Mama)
11. Roasted Cauliflower Tacos With Chipotle Cream: These cauliflower tacos need to be on the menu for your next taco Tuesday. They’re generously spiced with chipotle peppers and topped with avocado and radish — it’s a recipe straight from a gourmet taco truck. (via Floating Kitchen)
12. Cauliflower Waffled Grilled Cheese: Cauliflower is a pretty standard low-carb alternative to ingredients like rice and pizza dough, so why not sandwich bread? Next time you have that grilled cheese craving, turn on your waffle maker and experiment with cauliflower and your fave cheese. (via Kirbie’s Cravings)
13. Easy Cauliflower Rice Korean Pizza Bowls: This dish is an interesting combination of cauliflower fried rice, Korean BBQ and cheesy pizza. As odd as that mix sounds, the flavor is off the charts. You’ll definitely keep coming back to this one. (via Climbing Grier Mountain)
14. Creamy Butternut and Cauliflower Mash: Mashed potatoes are old news. In all honesty, it’s hard to tell the difference between this creamy combo and mashed potatoes. Plus, they’re a great way to use up leftovers, AND they’re vegan. (via Brit + C0)
15. Crustless Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice Quiche: Quiche is typically thought of as a dense, rich dish due to the cream most recipes call for. Cauliflower rice provides the same richness without the heaviness. It’s even crustless, so you could easily make this gluten-free. That’s a breakfast that’ll keep you full all morning long. (via The Flexitarian)
16. Low Carb Pepperoni and Mushroom Cauliflower Pizza: No matter how many times you see it done, it’s still pretty mind-blowing that crispy pizza crust can be made out of cauliflower. You can add whatever toppings you like — just try not to weigh it down with too many, or it might break apart on you. (via The Cookie Rookie)
17. Cauliflower Popcorn: Something magical happens to cauliflower when it’s simply roasted in the oven. It takes on a nutty flavor, similar to that of popcorn. Dress it up with some salt and fresh herbs, and you’ve got a healthy snack perfect for munching while binging on Netflix. (via Brit + Co)
18. Spicy Honey-Garlic Roasted Cauliflower: Let’s be honest — take-out can get really expensive, and usually isn’t very good for you. This sweet and spicy roasted cauliflower is reminiscent of those takeout flavors you love, but cheaper and more nutritious. Plus, it’ll be ready to eat *way* before your delivery would arrive. (via The Iron You)
19. Thai Chicken Cauliflower Curry: Think of cauliflower as a delicious sponge. Whatever sauce you simmer it in, and whatever spices you rub it with, it absorbs the taste. This Thai curry is so full of amazing flavor, it’ll make even the greatest of cauliflower skeptics stop and take notice. (via Green Healthy Cooking)
Follow us on Pinterest for more easy + delicious recipe ideas.
You can wear many hats running a business and sometimes some look better than others. Thanks to Office Depot, we're talking with Koyun Fan, co-founder of Sticky Rice Sisters, about finding inspiration along the way and staying organized on the road to success.