15 Vegetarian Tacos *Perfect* for Meatless Monday
Even if you’re a major meat lover, it’s nice to set aside Mondays to fill your body with plant-based meals. It’s a great way to set yourself up for a week of healthy eating and give yourself *tons* of energy. Tacos can be a regular part of your meal regimen, thanks in part to the Taco Cleanse Diet, but not many taco recipes rely solely on fruits and veggies. With lots of other meatless Monday recipes out there, perhaps vegetarian tacos weren’t even on your radar… until now. Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on meat, you’re in luck, because we have 15 veggie tacos that are perfect for your meatless Monday or taco Tuesday.
1. Butternut Squash and Black Bean Tacos: Black beans and butternut squash go together like peas and carrots, so it only makes sense for them to star in their own taco. Throw in some sautéed spinach for extra vitamins and top with chipotle-lime crema for that added zing. (via Coffee and Crayons)
2. Vegetarian Chipotle Mushroom, Leek and Kale Tacos on Cauliflower Tortillas: If you want to go all out and make your own tortillas, try using cauliflower as the base. Fill with meaty chipotle-spiced mushrooms that even the pickiest of eaters will love. (via Shared Appetite)
3. Crispy Cauliflower Tacos: Cauliflower is pretty much taking over the world, and we’re not mad about it. In these tacos, it’s used as a crispy baked alternative to fried chicken or fish. Seriously, you may prefer it from here on out – it’s that good. (via Destination Delish)
4. Crunch AF (As Fried) Tacos: Besides the totally relatable title of these tacos, they’re a great way to try tofu if you’re skeptical. The not-so-secret ingredient to making them crunchy af? Cornflakes. (via Radiant Rachels)
5. Skillet Eggplant “Rib” BBQ Mushroom Tacos: Hearty slices of barbecued eggplant are a great alternative to pork. Once you top your tacos with jalapeños, pepitas and red cabbage, there’s so much flavor going on that no one will notice they’re meat-free. (via Craving Nature)
6. Fried Avocado Tacos With Strawberry and Rhubarb Salsa: Stop mashing all of your avocado on toast and listen up. You will never think of avocados the same after coating them in breadcrumbs and frying them, especially once you put them in a taco and top with sweet and tangy fruit salsa. These tacos will *blow* your mind. (via Cravings in Amsterdam)
7. Curry-Glazed Carrot Tofu Tacos: These unique Indian-inspired tacos are chock full of interesting spice and texture. Serve on blistered whole-wheat tortillas for an added smokey and nutty flavor. (via Holy Cow Vegan Recipes)
8. Jackfruit Tacos With Rice: If you’re unfamiliar with jackfruit, it has a unique texture that’s very similar to a pulled meat, AKA perfect for vegetarian tacos. The jackfruit absorbs all of the flavor from the sauce, so there’s no need for a lot of competing ingredients. Simply top with pickled onions and cilantro and nosh away. (via Thyme and Love)
9. Mighty Migas Breakfast Tacos: You know you could eat tacos for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so why not? Enjoy these vegan tacos Monday morning for a healthy, filling start to your day. These are also great if you’ve been wanting to dabble in vegan cooking but aren’t sure where to start. (via Blissful Basil)
10. Moroccan Sweet Potato and Chickpea Tacos: Tacos don’t have to be a Mexican-only meal. You can customize them with any flavors you like, including Moroccan spice blends like cardamom, cumin and paprika. Simply roast the sweet potatoes and chickpeas in the spice mixture and pile on warm tortillas. (via Crestview Kitchen)
11. Moroccan Potato and Lentil Tacos With Harissa: If you’re not already on the Harissa train, you need to be. The hot chili paste is common in North African and Middle Eastern cooking and can be used similarly to Sriracha. Top your tacos with cool goat cheese to cut the heat. (via Warm Vanilla Sugar)
12. Fancy Mushroom and Smashed Avocado Tacos: A mix of three different mushrooms brings an earthy depth to the filling of these tacos. If you’re serving them to your kiddos, you can add an extra tortilla on top to make them a quesadilla and really hide those ‘shrooms. (via Whole Food Bellies)
13. Roasted Portobello Tacos: To add a sweet-and-spicy element to these stick-to-your-ribs tacos, make a fresh corn salsa loaded with cilantro and jalapeños. Your favorite taco truck will miss you once you start making these. (via Gimme Some Oven)
14. Slow Cooker Refried Bean Tacos: You’ll never buy canned refried beans after making this two-ingredient batch in your slow cooker. They’re super healthy, and they basically cook themselves while you’re out taking a Latin dance class. Complete your tacos with shredded lettuce, tomato and avocado for an authentic Mexican feel. (via Real Food Whole Life)
15. Smashed Chipotle Chickpea Tacos With Carrot Slaw and Avocado Crema: It may seem like a lot of work to make a crema, slaw and chipotle chickpeas all for one set of tacos, but the three different elements work together to create varying textures and flavors that you have to try to appreciate. (via Gotham Kitchen)
Follow us on Pinterest for more easy + delicious recipe ideas.
You can wear many hats running a business and sometimes some look better than others. Thanks to Office Depot, we're talking with Koyun Fan, co-founder of Sticky Rice Sisters, about finding inspiration along the way and staying organized on the road to success.