15 Vegetarian Tacos *Perfect* for Meatless Monday
Even if you’re a major meat lover, it’s nice to set aside Mondays to fill your body with plant-based meals. It’s a great way to set yourself up for a week of healthy eating and give yourself *tons* of energy. Tacos can be a regular part of your meal regimen, thanks in part to the Taco Cleanse Diet, but not many taco recipes rely solely on fruits and veggies. With lots of other meatless Monday recipes out there, perhaps vegetarian tacos weren’t even on your radar… until now. Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on meat, you’re in luck, because we have 15 veggie tacos that are perfect for your meatless Monday or taco Tuesday.
1. Butternut Squash and Black Bean Tacos: Black beans and butternut squash go together like peas and carrots, so it only makes sense for them to star in their own taco. Throw in some sautéed spinach for extra vitamins and top with chipotle-lime crema for that added zing. (via Coffee and Crayons)
2. Vegetarian Chipotle Mushroom, Leek and Kale Tacos on Cauliflower Tortillas: If you want to go all out and make your own tortillas, try using cauliflower as the base. Fill with meaty chipotle-spiced mushrooms that even the pickiest of eaters will love. (via Shared Appetite)
3. Crispy Cauliflower Tacos: Cauliflower is pretty much taking over the world, and we’re not mad about it. In these tacos, it’s used as a crispy baked alternative to fried chicken or fish. Seriously, you may prefer it from here on out – it’s that good. (via Destination Delish)
4. Crunch AF (As Fried) Tacos: Besides the totally relatable title of these tacos, they’re a great way to try tofu if you’re skeptical. The not-so-secret ingredient to making them crunchy af? Cornflakes. (via Radiant Rachels)
5. Skillet Eggplant “Rib” BBQ Mushroom Tacos: Hearty slices of barbecued eggplant are a great alternative to pork. Once you top your tacos with jalapeños, pepitas and red cabbage, there’s so much flavor going on that no one will notice they’re meat-free. (via Craving Nature)
6. Fried Avocado Tacos With Strawberry and Rhubarb Salsa: Stop mashing all of your avocado on toast and listen up. You will never think of avocados the same after coating them in breadcrumbs and frying them, especially once you put them in a taco and top with sweet and tangy fruit salsa. These tacos will *blow* your mind. (via Cravings in Amsterdam)
7. Curry-Glazed Carrot Tofu Tacos: These unique Indian-inspired tacos are chock full of interesting spice and texture. Serve on blistered whole-wheat tortillas for an added smokey and nutty flavor. (via Holy Cow Vegan Recipes)
8. Jackfruit Tacos With Rice: If you’re unfamiliar with jackfruit, it has a unique texture that’s very similar to a pulled meat, AKA perfect for vegetarian tacos. The jackfruit absorbs all of the flavor from the sauce, so there’s no need for a lot of competing ingredients. Simply top with pickled onions and cilantro and nosh away. (via Thyme and Love)
9. Mighty Migas Breakfast Tacos: You know you could eat tacos for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so why not? Enjoy these vegan tacos Monday morning for a healthy, filling start to your day. These are also great if you’ve been wanting to dabble in vegan cooking but aren’t sure where to start. (via Blissful Basil)
10. Moroccan Sweet Potato and Chickpea Tacos: Tacos don’t have to be a Mexican-only meal. You can customize them with any flavors you like, including Moroccan spice blends like cardamom, cumin and paprika. Simply roast the sweet potatoes and chickpeas in the spice mixture and pile on warm tortillas. (via Crestview Kitchen)
11. Moroccan Potato and Lentil Tacos With Harissa: If you’re not already on the Harissa train, you need to be. The hot chili paste is common in North African and Middle Eastern cooking and can be used similarly to Sriracha. Top your tacos with cool goat cheese to cut the heat. (via Warm Vanilla Sugar)
12. Fancy Mushroom and Smashed Avocado Tacos: A mix of three different mushrooms brings an earthy depth to the filling of these tacos. If you’re serving them to your kiddos, you can add an extra tortilla on top to make them a quesadilla and really hide those ‘shrooms. (via Whole Food Bellies)
13. Roasted Portobello Tacos: To add a sweet-and-spicy element to these stick-to-your-ribs tacos, make a fresh corn salsa loaded with cilantro and jalapeños. Your favorite taco truck will miss you once you start making these. (via Gimme Some Oven)
14. Slow Cooker Refried Bean Tacos: You’ll never buy canned refried beans after making this two-ingredient batch in your slow cooker. They’re super healthy, and they basically cook themselves while you’re out taking a Latin dance class. Complete your tacos with shredded lettuce, tomato and avocado for an authentic Mexican feel. (via Real Food Whole Life)
15. Smashed Chipotle Chickpea Tacos With Carrot Slaw and Avocado Crema: It may seem like a lot of work to make a crema, slaw and chipotle chickpeas all for one set of tacos, but the three different elements work together to create varying textures and flavors that you have to try to appreciate. (via Gotham Kitchen)
Follow us on Pinterest for more easy + delicious recipe ideas.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.