Winter Is Coming! 25 Essentials to Buy Right Now
Winter is coming! Christmas trees and holiday decorations are already being sold and strung up in department stores (and we’re not gonna lie, here at Brit HQ). But the other day, there came an even more official signifier: I caught a glimpse of my own breath on my morning commute! So take it from me, it’s time to start stocking your winter wardrobe. We’ve got all the essentials covered in this roundup, so scroll through these 25 shoppable cold weather must-haves to help you make it through the season in style.
1. Wool Coat ($168): A wool coat in a camel color will go with everything you have in your closet. Consider it the alternative to the traditional black peacoat.
2. Snow-proof Coat ($178): A puffer coat will keep you toasty even if/when the temps dip below zero. Grab your fuzziest mittens and a playful beanie and make the freeze feel way more fun!
3. Black Tights ($10): These check patterned tights are a great alternative to your run-of-the mill opaques. Besides being your go-tos for more formal skirt and heel pairings, these tights would look killer with chunky socks and lace-up boots.
4. Cardigan ($54): The only truly awesome thing about the newly ever-present chill? You get to snuggle a cozy cardigan. We recommend having several in your arsenal.
5. Cashmere Sweater ($188): If you ask us, you shouldn’t consider a cashmere sweater a splurge — it’s a solid investment, and one that every girl should have in her closet. Just be sure that when you *do* shovel out for the piece, you don’t settle for one that’s forgettable — J.Crew offers 19 different colors in sizes XXS-XXL, so literally, there will be something swoon-worthy for everyone.
6. Skinny Jeans ($75): Sure, boyfriend jeans are all the rage and joggers are incredibly comfy, but you’ve probably been styling skinny jeans for a handful of winters at this point. With all the extra layering in your near-future, make slipping on your classic blues — in a darker wash for the season — the easiest part of your outfit.
7. Turtleneck ($40): Not the roomy, ill-fitting pullover that you remember, huh? Turtlenecks like this gray number have been reimagined as sleek knits ready to take the place of your white button down on any especially cold commute.
8. Long Sleeve Sheath Dress ($100): You can get insane milage out of a long-sleeved sheath dress all season long. Dress it up with a lariat necklace and knee-high boots, keep it office-friendly with tights and flats or slip it on for the weekend with your favorite pair of fashion sneakers and a cool cropped sweater.
9. Pencil Skirt ($35): Just because the hemlines get longer doesn’t mean you have to look any less smokin’. And that’s what a pencil skirt is all about.
10. Cocktail Dress ($125): So over your endless collection of fit and flares? Then take some styling advice from Cara Delevingne and try a more mod silhouette like this high-neck shift dress. Whether you wear it à la Cara with a blouse underneath or solo, the copper jacquard finish will catch the light flawlessly, you head turner, you!
11. White Button Down Shirt ($88): Why not update your white button down with every season? This winter, longline cuts are in, so snatch up a thigh-length shirt that you can wear buttoned over a pair of (faux) leather leggings or half-tucked into a pair of distressed jeans.
12. A Pair of Flat Boots ($67): Flat knee-high boots can be either equestrian-preppy or edgy with a hint of biker chic attitude… or both. Whatever your style, be sure to have a tall pair to slip into.
13. Rain Boots That Don’t Look Like Rain Boots ($250): Waterproof shoes are a must during this season, but that doesn’t mean they have to salt your style. Seek out a pair that don’t look like traditional rain boots, like this pair here equipped with a moto buckle.
14. Leather Gloves ($30): Depending on the detail or embellishment, this winter essential could be your most elegant or your most edgy of the season.
15. Fingerless Gloves ($50): Fingerless gloves are an absolute must! How else are you going to use that new app on the go?
17. Midi Skirt ($140): A midi skirt won’t just dress up anything you pair it with instantly, but all that extra fabric will keep your gams all the warmer. Win-win!
18. Ankle Booties ($230): These shoes are made for walking. Ankle booties with a modest chunky heel will serve you well through winter because they go with everything, from your coziest joggers to roomy boyfriend jeans to cocktail party-ready A-line skirts.
19. Flat Ankle Boots ($100): For the girl who finds heels of any kind to be completely impractical, try this ankle bootie alternative. Consider it an excuse to add a +1 to your shoe collection ;)
20. Scarves ($18): Don’t think your coat collar will get the job done this year — no bare neck is safe in the wintertime. This season, give an infinity scarf a twirl and never worry about your wrap around falling out of place, no matter how long you frolic through the snow!
21. Wool Pants ($118): If you’re the kind of gal who wears leggings day in, day out, a pair of woollies is a must-have — consider them like a sweater for your legs!
22. Embellished Pants ($130): I know they seem really trendy but trust us, you are going to need them! Gold jacquard pants are an awesome alternative to a cocktail dress, and trust us – your legs will thank you!
23. Sweater Dress ($88): Warm, feminine, one piece wonder. Need we say more?
24. Glam Sweatshirt ($181): There might not be a better day-to-night piece around than a metallic sweatshirt. Dress up jeans and a collared shirt just like that for work, then toss on a skater skirt for happy hour.
25. Chunky Sweater ($25): The end all be all of winter essentials right here! You literally cannot leave the house without it, so opt for a knit in a fun color that will still go with just about everything, like this on-trend dusty pink.
How many of these essentials do you already have in your closet? Let us know in the comments below!