20 Hairstyles That’ll Look FAB Under a Hat
When it comes to winter headwear your options are endless: snuggly beanies, chic Panama toppers, cozy head wraps, ear muffs… the list goes on. We’re all for bracing those cold days under the warmth of some grade A millinery, but there is always one obvious downside to wrapping up that noggin: the oh-so-dreaded hat hair. Crimped + flat tresses is never a good situation, but alas, we have a solution (or 20). Just because you’re wearing a hat doesn’t mean you can’t have a killer hairstyle going on underneath. Next time you pop on a lid, try out one of these hairdos for a style that’ll look good with or without a cap.
2. Stick Straight 2nd Day ‘Do: We love a natural mane under winter hats, but we have to admit these straightened locks also look amazing. The styled hair definitely amps up the drama factor, and this would work extra well on a second day ‘do when you run out of dry shampoo :-X (Hat via ASOS)
3. French Braid Side Twist: If you want to get those pesky bangs out of the way (and avoid that awkward hair dent) try out our trusty tutorial, which shows you how to incorporate your fringe into a side braid. (via Brit + Co)
6. Fabulously Fringed: If you’re committed to your chosen headwear and not at all worried about the awkward crimp it will leave in your bangs, knock that hat back a bit and show off that beautiful fringe. This looks like a fab way to show off a new trim. (Hat via ASOS)
8. Baby Braid: If you’re into the braided look but don’t want a full updo, here’s the perfect in-between. French braid the front to keep it our of your face and then simply let the rest of the twisted hair hang down. (via Jillian Harris)
9. Knot It Up: This tutorial starts with you literally making a knot with your hair, so that’s kind of awesome. Try this fancy ponytail with a hat that doesn’t sit too low on the nape of your neck so you can show it off. (via Brit + Co)
10. Braided Bun: Start this look by creating a classic low braid. Take one of your three strands in one hand and push the braid up to the nape of your neck with the other. After your bun scrunches up, twist the tail you’ve created around it and pin. (via A Beautiful Mess)
12. Twisted Sister: Wowza! This updo is a total stunner and it’s shockingly easy. Pop on a hat to make it look like a low messy bun and then take it off for the full reveal. (via The Beauty Department)
14. Braided Bliss: If you’re rocking a head wrap that leaves the crown of your head exposed, fill it up with crazy braids. This tutorial shows you how to do a look that includes not only a braided crown, but also a small, cascading side braid. (via Refinery29)
19. Rope Bun: If you guys haven’t tried a rope twist yet, it’s time. It’s totally easier than a braid and looks awesome. Leave it down and to the side or do like this pretty lady and pin it up into a low bun. (A Cup of Jo)
20. Three Twisted Buns: If you’re looking for the ultimate lazy morning, try this tutorial, which shows you how to create a voluminous wave by sleeping on twisted buns the night before. Wake up, shake out that crazy mane, pop on a hat and head out the door. (via Brit + Co)
What’s your go to hairstyle to wear under a hat? Share a picture with us — @britandco!
If you lack a certain way with words, then perhaps you can rely on showing how you feel this holiday season with an artful greeting card you can make at home! Brit dropped by our crafting studio where we teamed with Camp by Walmart to create a choose-your-own-adventure holiday card tutorial. In the interactive video, it's up to you to decide what type of card you want to make — sentimental, or stylish? Three-dimensional, or keep it simple? After you've selected your design vibe, Brit helps you assemble it all together so your last-min card is ready to send. Get ready to pick up a few new DIY tricks when you watch the video now!