Ever fall head over heels for a dress, only to realize you have literally no idea what kind of bra to pair it with? We’ve been there — daydreaming about having your very own She’s All That staircase reveal only to realize your version might include unsightly bra straps. Lucky for you, we’ve decoded the best bra pairings for every tricky neckline, because nothing can ruin a summer outfit like a wardrobe malfunction. Scroll down for genius dress and bra pairings that won’t let you down.
1. Reformation Addie Dress ($198) + Free People Sugar Sugar Underwire Bra ($48): A sunny-day frock deserves an equally beautiful bra to go with it. This Free People bra has enough support to keep everything right where it needs to be. Plus, it’s cinched in the center, so it won’t peek through the dress’s flirty midriff cutout.
Deep Plunge Neckline
2. Tobi Ladies and Gents Tuxedo Dress ($56) + Aerie Hi-Neck Bralette ($27): Love the downtown-cool look of a tuxedo dress, but looking for a bit more coverage? We totally feel that. Make this look appropriate for a family function by adding a lacy bralette that has a high neck, like this one from Aerie. Now go off and dazzle those in-laws.
Square Halter Neckline
3. Anthropologie Colorblock Halter Dress ($148) + Victoria’s Secret Body by Victoria Multi-Way Bra ($50): A square-front halter neckline is totally flattering, but also presents a bit of an undergarment dilemma. Luckily, the answer is actually a lot simpler than it seems. Choose a strapless bra that will stand up to every move you make. If you don’t already have a great strapless bra, we suggest investing in one sooner than later. We’re obsessing over this one from Victoria’s Secret.
4. Pixie Market Off-the-Shoulder Dress ($102) + Soma Reversible Foam Bandeau ($49): It’s no secret that the off-the-shoulder trend is everywhere right now. Just remember, your undergarments should never distract from your outfit, so when it comes to an off-the-shoulder look, a seamless bandeau bra is your new BFF.
Super Skinny Straps
5. Topshop Strappy Bonded Prom Dress ($110) + U-Plunge Backless Strapless Bra ($32): There are actually two bra options that will work with the plunging neckline and super-skinny straps of this knockout dress. Pick up an adhesive bra or this strapless u-plunge bra to prevent any major wardrobe malfunctions.
6. American Apparel Adia Mini Dress ($54) + Nordstrom Lingerie UPlunge Deep V-Neck Convertible Bra ($28): The secret to pulling off this minimalist-chic shift is wearing a bra that will blend right in with the fabric. You’ll want something without any texture (i.e. skip anything with lace). We’re all about this convertible bra, which features a plunging neckline and partial underwire support.
What are your best-kept wardrobe secrets? Check out our faves on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.