Halloween is right around the corner (um — wasn’t it JUST Memorial Day!?), and if you’re a bonafide busy girl who consistently finds herself too time-crunched to spend hours rummaging through her closet trying to throw together a killer Halloween costume, listen up! Pulling together a spooky (or not so much) ensemble in seconds that will still manage to turn heads is no easy feat. But there’s good news — you don’t need to spend months or even a lot of moolah to achieve an enviable All Hallow’s Eve ensemble. We’ve pulled together 16 one-item costumes that are busy girl-approved, using staples from your trusty fall wardrobe (including bomber jackets, berets and It-girl-esque camera bags) and a few cool extras listed below.
1. Missguided Lace Cat Ear Headband Black ($10): A cat costume is cute and classic, and comes together in two seconds flat. Simply pop this playful lace headband on and proceed to pair with an all-black ensemble (joggers and oversized sweaters are totally fair game). Bonus points for eyeliner whiskers and dramatic lips.
2. Mango Faux Fur Coat ($200): Been dying for a reason to finally indulge in a faux fur coat? We’ve found it. Channel your inner street style star this Halloween by pulling together a seriously chic ensemble that culminates with a standout topper. Oversized shades and a stellar socks + platform heels combo are obligatory. Another option? This statement coat would also be perfect for pulling off a Margo Tenenbaum look.
3. Betsey Johnson Literally a Camera Crossbody Bag ($88): If you’re already starting to feel fashion week withdrawals (we totally hear you, girl), consider paying tribute to iconic fashion photographer Bill Cunningham. Team this quirky cross-body bag with a blue jacket or sweater for a pop-culture-perfect look.
4. Avery 5141 Name Tag Labels, Blue, 100/Pack ($6): Ready your pens! For a costume that requires, well, no costume change at all, but still manages to score a few points for wit, pick up a package of name badges and hit up your bestie’s after-hours bash as an identity crisis. Write whatever names tickle your fancy on each name tag, then stick them sporadically all over your ensemble.
5. Urban Outfitters Metal Aviator Readers ($14): These ’70s-inspired readers are the key to a killer nerd getup. Team them with high-waisted jeans, a tucked-in button-down (with a few pens in the pocket, of course), polished Oxfords and a classic cardigan. Bonus points for adding a bit of tape to the nose bridge for a touch of Steve Urkel-esque flair.
6. Brixton Audrey Beret ($48): Make your Breton stripes work overtime this October 31 by busting them out with this bright red beret for a Halloween ensemble a la your fave Parisienne. Have a leather jacket and Stan Smiths on hand? Throw ’em into the mix to play up the French-girl stereotype. Perfectly applied eyeliner is non-negotiable.
7. Out from Under Skeleton Catsuit ($79): One and done. Take your busy-girl ways into lazy-girl territory and win Halloween with this throw-on-and-go catsuit that is straight-up goals.
8. Wildfox Guess What I Am Pt.2 Cuddles Unicorn Hoodie ($124): One word: obsessed. How often does the opportunity come along to wear a hoodie with a unicorn horn? How about never. Wear it on All Hallow’s Eve with glittery eye shadow and metallic trousers for a whimsical look you just might make your off-duty signature.
9. Harry Potter House Scarves ($30): Fifty points for Gryffindor! Show your house pride by teaming this spirited scarf with a simple gray sweater or a long black coat for an enchanting costume that Harry, Hermione and Ron would certainly approve of.
10. Urban Outfitters Rhinestone Tiara Headband ($16): Let your inner grunge goddess run wild by teaming this glitzy tiara with a slinky slip dress for a look that calls to mind Courtney Love circa 1995. Nail the look with berry-brown lipstick and flannel.
11. Urban Outfitters Lace Bat Mask ($12): Totally swamped and not in the Halloween mood this year? This lacy bat mask is right up your alley. Pop it on with your everyday duds on the way to your Halloween fiesta and you’re good to go.
12. Nasty Gal Patch Me on the Flipside Bomber Jacket ($98): A trend-right topper that just so happens to be a key component to a Halloween costume with throwback appeal? Sign us up! Do the Top Gun thing and style this patched-up bomber jacket with classic Aviator shades and combat boots — then proceed to play “Danger Zone” on repeat all night long.
13. Party City Red Heart Balloon ($2): That’s right — we’re going artsy this Halloween with Banksy’s Girl With a Balloon. Throw on head-to-toe black and hit up a party shop to recreate Banksy’s satirical street art.
14. Truly Madly Deeply Liza Off-the-Shoulder Tee ($24): The next best thing to rockin’ pajamas at a Halloween party? Alex Owens’ iconic Flashdance look. Team this snuggly tee (styled in off-the-shoulder fashion, of course) with black leggings, bright pumps and don’t-care hair for the win.
15. Bijoux Indiscrets Kristine Eye Mask ($15): Who says you have be anything to nail an enviable costume? This geometric mask is straight-up swoon-inducing and would look just as ah-mazing styled alongside a classic LBD as it would with a sleek black jumpsuit and pumps.
16. ASTR Lace-Up Bell Sleeve Shift Dress ($68): I’ll get you, my pretty! With the right makeup and a pair of ankle boots (bonus points for lace-up, pointed-toe styles), this bell-sleeve frock instantly transforms into a whimsical witch costume. Warts and tough-girl ‘tude not included.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.