Moving into a new home can be incredibly exciting (hello, housewarming soiree!), but it also comes with its fair share of planning, budgeting and to-do lists. It’s a good rule of thumb to live in your new space for at least two months before making any major purchases. Once you have a feel for your new digs, the fun part begins: turning your empty house into your home. As much as we love poring over catalogs and browsing for new goods, it can be hard to know when to splurge and when to save on all those dream items. We’re making things easier by sharing 10 must-have living room essentials for every buget.
1. Sofa: Couch, settee, davenport… whatever you call it, a living room looks a little sparse without it. The gorgeous EJ 315 Sofa ($11,900) hails from the ’70s, but Erik Jørgensen’s design has stood the test of time. A touch of class that yields comfort too, the Danish modern design rests on a wooden frame with soft leather cushions and eye-catching, stitched buttons. To avoid blowing your entire living room budget on your sofa, we’ve found a comparable design in the Alcott Sofa ($1,699). We’re definitely loving the price tag on this beauty.
2. Coffee Table: You need somewhere to rest your mug when you’re enjoying your morning brew or curled up at night with a glass of wine. The River Stone Cocktail Table ($1,035) is a beautiful place to rest your glass while lending elegant flair and a touch of nature to your living room. If you don’t necessarily want your coffee table taking center stage but like the river stone look, then check out this Pebble Coffee Table ($299) that will totally rock your budget.
3. Accent Chair: Let go of that Lazy-Boy you “borrowed” from your parent’s basement and get yourself an accent chair. Extra seating is never a miss, especially when you have a seat that’s as stylish as this Kilim Accent Chair ($999). Resting on mango wood legs, the chair is upholstered with 100% cotton textiles and is sure to spark major interest from visitors. Of course, we’re all about the price tag on the 1938 Bergama Butterfly Chair ($229), not to mention, you can’t go wrong with this graphic twist on a classic.
4. Statement Rug: Pull everything together and create an inviting space by adding an interesting rug. We’re all about the geometric-inspired Buche Wool Flatweave Carpet ($3,000). The price tag reflects the durability and artisanal work that goes into it. If you like the look but would rather splurge elsewhere, the Stockholm ($199) pulls off the same modern and geometric look. (Photo via Apartment Therapy)
5. Cushions: Every couch needs a cushion. This comfy textile adds a happy splash of color and pattern to your space. Colorful and fluffy as a cloud, the duck feather-filled Ink Jungle Cushion ($145) adds comfort and a bit of WOW factor to the settee. Equally bright at a fraction of the cost is the Geometric 3D Cushion ($31), which is illustrated and hand-sewn stateside.
6. Throw Blanket: Any truly “lived in” living room will have a soft, comfy throw rolled up in a basket next to the sofa. Textile trendsetters may be swayed toward the Multi-Color Stripe Throw ($550), but the uber-soft Fireworks Alpaca Throw ($115) gets the job done at a quarter of the cost.
7. Curtains: Window treatments offer a vast array of materials and style, but if you want to keep things sleek and understated, the Zoe Beige Geometric Window Curtains ($278) make an impressive statement. Like the look, but not ready to splurge? The budget-friendly Gray Geometric Curtains ($50) are equally as charming.
8. Framed Artwork: It doesn’t have to be a Picasso, but framed artwork is a great way to add a focal point to your living space. We’re loving the individually signed and numbered Botanical Print ($150) gracing the walls. If flora is your thing, then this set of 12 Vintage Orchid Prints ($82) will add visual appeal to a plain living room wall.
9. Table Lamp: Essential for illuminating a room, table lamps also make a big impact on your living room’s overall look. Brighten things up with the vibrant Mini Foo Dog Lamps ($850). These dogs were the sacred guard dogs of Buddhist temples. Protect your home for about half the price with a pair of vibrant Turquoise Foo Dog Lamps ($340).
10. Tchotchkes: All you need is love. The Beatles sang it, Robert Indiana sculpted it and you can have it in your living room with the Miniature LOVE Sculpture ($200). All love is equal, but the price on this awesome 3D Printed LOVE Sculpture ($36) may mingle a bit more with your budget.
What are your living room essentials? Share your top picks with us below!