40 Housewarming Gift Ideas That’ll Make You the Best Guest Ever
Moving is tough. Sure, it’s also a fresh start and a new experience, but we know carrying those belongings up several flights of stairs is hardly easy. Whether you’re the best friend helping the movers pivot the couch in a walk-up, the new next-door neighbor, or just invited to the post-move party, make sure you reward their successful relocation with a thoughtful housewarming gift. We’ve hunted down everything your hosts will appreciate, from smart items you can order online to thoughtful and practical DIY projects.
1. Anthropologie Lulu Bottle Opener ($12): They’ve just landed the dream home, and it’s time to celebrate! Be a bon ami, and show up with a six pack and a beautiful bottle opener that they’ll always associate with their first days at home.
3. Thoughtfully Mason Jar Herb Garden ($30): Jump-start the new homeowners’ herb garden with this hydroponic kit. Featured in vintage-inspired mason jars, this set will truly be the gift that keeps giving.
4. Chef’s Daughter Travel Spice Kit ($36): Restocking the kitchen cabinets after a move can be such a pain, so these 20 herbs and spices are perfect for getting your friends through the first few weeks of quick meals.
5. Nordstrom At Home Cuddle Up Faux Fur Throw Blanket ($149): We feel cozier and calmer just looking at this snuggly throw. Bring on the movie nights.
6. Bialetti Moka Express Stovetop Percolator ($50): Have we mentioned how much we love coffee? And what better way to start the day than with this vintage-style metal brewer, perfect for waking up at breakfast.
7. Umbra Jewelry Tray ($15): Give their favorite bracelet a safe place on day one in their new home. It’s tough to stay organized when half of their possessions are still in boxes. This jewelry tray will keep their daily beauty or jewelry supplies on hand, even when they’re living in transition.
8. Anthropologie Perasima Serving Bowl ($58): A lot of stuff gets tossed during a big move, like plasticware from the kitchen. That’s where you come in, replacing old, stained bowls with gorgeous salad bowls like these that are sure to add a punch of color.
9. wearebreadandjam Desk Planner ($14): Keep the new residents on top of their game with a desktop planner that’s perfect for capturing meetings, appointments, and dinner dates.
10. Uncommon Goods Cocktail Bitters Set ($35): Your host is sure to crack open these bottles right away and get to mixing their fave drinks STAT.
11. Kate Spade Two of a Kind Gold Dot Shaker ($50): Set your BFF up with the tools to throw a party where the drinks are flowing. Pair this cocktail shaker with drink mixers to really get the housewarming party started!
12. Bliss Gardens Air Plant Terrarium Kit ($20): Add a little greenery to their new home with the DIY terrariums. It’s perfect for hanging or placing on a mantel or bookshelf.
13. Voluspa Maison Mini Candle Gift Set ($38): Kick this housewarming classic up a notch with these Voluspa candles. Once the candles are all used up, the various votives make amazing catchalls.
14. AdamsAleArtPrints Gold Foil Map Prints ($19): Whether your pal is new to the city or has just left one behind, we love how bright and blingy these gold foil maps are.
15. Zodax Stonedust Cheese Tool Set ($50): What house party would be complete without a cheese platter? Package this beautiful knife set with some Brie and tuck in.
16. Freshware Bamboo Cutting Board ($20 for the set): Gift these organic cutting boards to complement the marble knives.
17. DII Polka Dot Napkins ($15): For the mover who has everything — you can be sure they don’t have speckled table napkins that make every day feel like a birthday.
18. Mosser Glass Crown Tuscan Mixing Bowl Set ($70): Everyone needs new kitchenware, right? Spruce up the space with this adorable pretty-in-pink set of mixing bowls.
19. ShopJosieB “Home Is Where the La Croix Is” Door Mat ($40): This doormat will show guests what truly makes a home a home.
20. Knack Herbivore Calm Experience Spa Gift Set ($88): Your friends will LOVE this gift. After a long day of lifting boxes, a little pampering is all they’ll want (and need!)
21. Pehr Pom Set of 3 Canvas Bins ($92): If you like the practicality of the basket idea, but want to get something a bit prettier, bundle up some necessities for the home in this pom-pommed basket.
22. Crate & Barrel Medium Clamp Canister ($22): Everyday products will always be appreciated, but to bump up the gift factor, try etching or painting a sweet message (like ‘welcome home!’) onto the jar first.
23. Make Yourself at Home by Moorea Seal ($25): Help them create a place that feels like home. This book contains all the tips they need to stay organized and on top of their game (just in time for the welcome party!)
24. DIY Bacon Kit ($20): Take some inspiration from Sur La Table and give the gift of homemade bacon. Need we say more?
25. Hella Co. The Margarita Mixing Kit ($60): If it’s warm and sunny in your neck of the woods than this pitcher and margarita set will seriously hit the spot after a day of lifting furniture.
27. Williams Sonoma Gaby Dalkin’s Salsa & Guacamole Starter Gift Set ($30): Instead of making a casserole, how about encouraging the new homeowners to make their first meal together? Providing them with some starter ingredients makes it stress-free.
28. Exzact Bamboo Sushi Rolling Kit ($19): Let them break in the new kitchen with a DIY approach on their favorite take-out item.
29. Mkono Macrame Wall Hanging ($20): Here’s an easy way for your bud to add some pizazz to walls they can’t paint: a pretty wall hanging.
30. CB2 Macramé Plant Holder ($25): Even if they don’t have the greenest of thumbs, this macrame planter will make any plant look cute hanging in their new home.
31. PrintableSky Welcome Home Sign ($3): Let your friends feel welcome in their new abode from the moment they walk through the door.
32. Sqirl LA Everything I Want to Eat Cookbook ($40): LA-based restaurant restauranteur Jessica Kaslow shares her vision of delish and healthy meals in her new cookbook. This gem is sure to inspire your friends to get their creative cooking on.
33. Salt + Pepper Grinders ($25): Help them get their seasoning on with salt and pepper shakers. These gourmet grinders are so sleek and pretty, they can even stay on the counter when not in use.
34. Blue Apron Food Delivery ($60+): Give the gift of easy-to-cook every night dinners made with farm fresh produce and hormone-free mean. You can also choose 2-Person and Family Plans.
35. West Elm Wood + Marble Salad Server Set ($59): These radiant salad servers are sure to wow the crowd. Whether it’s a dinner party or a home date night, salad has never looked this good.
36. Kupia Handpainted Vase ($58): Toss in some pretty florals with an even prettier vase and you have a gift that will breath life into their new place.
37. Amazon Echo Dot ($40): We all know that moving is a little easier with some good background tunes. This compact Bluetooth speaker will do just the job, in addition to telling them what’s on the rest of their to-do list!
38. Old Dutch Copper Champagne Bucket ($89): Raise a glass to your new neighbors — and a chilled one at that! A champagne bucket paired with a favorite bottle of bubbly is the perfect way to toast to their new digs.
39. Calloway Mills Hello Doormat ($27): Welcome them home on the friendliest note. A doormat is a #genius home decor idea that they probably never thought of!
40. Knock Knock Things to Do Around the House Pad ($9): So much to do, so little time! Let your friends know you’re thinking about them during the big move with a cute pad that’ll keep their priorities in order from A to B.
What items do you love to give as housewarming gifts? Let us know @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Additional reporting by Sarah Koller)