Whether you’re desperately trying to keep a basil plant alive or you want to try your hand at creating a salad garden, living small can cramp your green dreams. Few things are more satisfying than growing your own food, but that can be hard to accomplish with a teeny yard or patio. What to do? Here are 15 gorgeous urban gardens, plus a few DIY projects, that will inspire you to turn your outdoor situation into a mini botanical paradise.
1. Restful Spaces: Replace a tiny yard with a glass greenhouse and create your own slice of tropical heaven. (via The Blue Hour)
2. Mini Patio: Sometimes, just the simple job of cleaning up the deck or patio can make your home feel ready for summer entertaining. You could even make your own cushions for your outdoor furniture. (via Angel in the North)
3. English Inspiration: With just enough decking for a chair and a small water feature, the rest of this yard is full of low-maintenance plants for a garden that is constantly changing. (via Domino)
4. Grid Pattern: Go for a sophisticated look and lay out the garden in a neat grid pattern like a proper estate. (via Domino)
5. Vertical Garden DIY: Cover up an ugly fence with this unique take on the vertical garden. Just pick up some old frames at your local thrift store and fill ’em with colorful succulents. (via Sky Parlour)
6. Stop and Smell the Roses: Even if you fill up most of your tiny yard with plants and garden beds, save a little room for a couple chairs and a bench so you can admire your handiwork. (via Domino)
7. Crate It: Plant everything you need for salad – lettuce, herbs and tomatoes – in wine boxes and you’ll be eating fresh all season long. (via Remodelista)
8. Pallet Garden: If you’ve run out of space on your patio for more pots, try going vertical with a cool pallet planter. (via Apartment Therapy)
9. DIY Garden Wall: Build an arbor or use one you already have to make an adorable wall of hanging pots for herbs and flowers. (via AKA Design)
10. Outdoor Sanctuary: Play with textures in your outdoor space by mixing in woven rugs, bamboo chairs and colorful pillows. (via Elle Decoration)
11. Skinny Shady: Even a patio without much light can turn into a little green haven, especially when you add hanging plants. (via Remodelista)
12. DIY Hanging Garden: You could be ready to grow in a weekend with this easy, and rather beautiful, DIY hanging garden project. (via Brit + Co)
13. Reflect the Sun: We talk about using mirrors inside to make a room feel larger, so why not take the same strategy outside and “double” your outdoor garden space? (via House and Garden)
14. IKEA garden ($25): A genius system for holding plants and a few tools, this planter hooks over the patio for the perfect apartment garden.
15. Ultimate Edible Garden: Feel like taking your garden game beyond pots? Check out Brit’s amazing DIY garden for some serious inspiration on how to grow everything you want to eat. (via Brit + Co)