Make a Hip Herb Garden to Fit Even the Smallest of Spaces
When it comes to space, we seem to be always running out of it! Whether we're trying to bring a little greenery into the teeniest of studios or we're looking for an easy and efficient way to grow herbs in the kitchen, there are few places to go but up. Literally ;) We teamed up with Method — a brand that can get behind all things green — to create a hip vertical herb garden to fit even the smallest of spaces.
– wood – 4 feet x 6 inches
– painters tape (three different widths)
– galvanized metal tape
– 5 mason jars
– 5 different type of fresh herbs
– electric screw driver
– wire cutter
– paint brushes
– yard stick
1. Using three different widths of painters tape, create a pattern on your wood.
2. Paint and let dry. Wait about an hour before peeling off the tape.
3. Time to create the holders for your plants. Wrap the galvanized metal tape around your mason jar, leaving room for tabs to attach to the wood. Using a wire cutter, cut the metal and then bend. Our piece measured about 12 inches — 2 inches per tab plus 8 inches for the circumference.
4. Measure about 4-5 inches from the top of your wood. This will be where the top edge of your first planter will lay. Place the mason jar centered on the wood and lay the metal piece on top. Using the holes, mark the spot where you will need to place a screw.
5. Create these marks on the wood for all five mason jar planters. Each top edge of the jar should be placed 4-5 inches from the bottom edge of the previous jar.
6. Remember those screw marks? Time to secure one edge of your metal tape. Place the mason jar under the metal tape and secure the opposite side to the wood. The jar should fit snugly but should still be removable.
7. Time to plant! We planted basil, oregano, mint, parsley, and rosemary. Add some extra planting soil in your mason jars with the fresh herbs.
8. Display your new 2-in-1 wall art and garden!
We chose colors that remind us of summer,but you can choose any mix of hues that fit your style.
Tape off a fun pattern using your three different widths of tape. We created strips and added some triangles in between for some flare.
Start painting! We used five different colors and painted them in a repeating pattern.
Never worry about messy paint, Method All-Purpose Cleaner will remove it from almost any surface.
When the paint has dried, peel off the tape to reveal your amazing design.
Now this is where it gets tricky! The galvanized metal tape is malleable but sharp, beware! Wrap it around the circumference of the mason jar, leave room for 2-inch tabs on either side. Ours measured about 12 inches. Place your first jar 4-5 inches from the top of the board. Place the galvanized metal tape around the middle of the jar and mark where you will be drilling. Repeat this process for all five jars.
Screw one side in at a time. This may be a two person job depending on your comfort with power tools.
Jars attached to wood = check!
For our vertical garden we decided to fill it with herbs that we use everyday in our kitchen: parsley, rosemary, basil, oregano, and mint. Spoon some loose soil into the bottom of the mason jar, then add in your herbs.
And for a little paint splatter or dirt on your shirt, pre-treat with Method Laundry Detergent before you throw in the laundry pile. This will ensure maximum stain removal when you finally toss in the washing machine or handwash.
Slide the jars into your newly made brackets.
After dealing with all that dirt, you will definitely want to wash your hands. And then you’re done!
We have to admit, we’re pretty obsessed with this vertical garden. The mix of wood, metal, color and patterns is an instant win.
Mmmm, that mint is making me want a mojito…
Do you have any homemade planters or garden projects in your home? Tell us about them in the comments below.
Our undergarments might have taken a backseat in 2020, but with a new year upon us, we're feeling inspired to reprioritize our most intimate clothing layer — especially in time for Valentine's Day. Because hey, what better way to kickstart a season of self-love than by treating yourself to a confidence-boosting set of lingerie?
We turned to trusted intimates brand Adore Me to set us straight on trends for the year ahead, featuring size-inclusive bodysuits, romantic bustiers, lacy babydoll styles, and everything in between. Luxe sets start at $24.95 with free shipping and exchanges, and if you're not sure what style would work best for you, Adore Me has an at-home styling service called the Elite Box. You can try everything on from the comfort and safety of your home, keep what you love, and send back the rest totally hassle-free. Need more to pique your interest? Scroll ahead to see the silky lingerie and loungewear pieces we're adding to our cart.
Adore Me Svana Contour Set ($24.95): You can't go wrong with this playful satin cherry print and lace design.
Adore Me Luana Camisole & Short Set ($24.95): It was about time for a PJ upgrade, and this silky set is perfect for sweet dreamin' and lounging around the house.
Adore Me Gynger Unlined Set ($24.95): Va-va-voom! Hands-down the sexiest piece in the collection, this bra boasts a fiery red bow and skin-showing cups — literally confidence in a bra!
Adore Me Evetta Unlined Set ($24.95): This barely-there flouncy lace set is for when you'd almost rather wear nothing at all.
Adore Me Desirae Robe ($24.95): Take your self-care to the next level with this so-soft robe with subtle lace detailing.
Adore Me Clarisse Unlined Bodysuit ($24.95): This floral lace bodysuit with adjustable attached garters is straight out of our lingerie fantasy.
Adore Me Charlize Unlined Set ($24.95): If plum is more your power color, you'll love this sheer lace set.
Adore Me Helene Cheeky Plus (5 for $20): Our underwear drawer needs a little TLC too, and these comfy undies with coverage are the answer.
Adore Me Kaia Contour Plus Set ($24.95): Cutouts are all the rage, so why not have them in your underwear too?
Adore Me Kaia Contour Set ($24.95): Oh, and it comes in fire engine red — yes, please!
Adore Me Clarisse Bodysuit ($24.95): If you weren't sure about bodysuits, let this classic style change your mind.
Adore Me Corina Push Up Bustier ($24.95): Like more volume in the cleavage area? This sexy corset situation is for you.