10 Things That Should ACTUALLY Be in Your Purse This Summer
Our favorite season is just around the bend, and we’ve got our sights set on sunny days, weekend getaways and glowing skin. We’ve teamed up with Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc. to gather up essentials for summer beauty, style and skincare. Summer can be a doozy on your typical routine — you have to take heat, humidity and sunshine into consideration. And if you’re anything like us, you also have to take impromptu beach trips, pool parties and lakeside lounging into consideration as well ;)
Read on to check out our list of 10 pretty AND practical essentials for strutting your summer self in style, and with healthy skin!
1. ON-HAND ESSENTIALS
I’m pretty low maintenance when it comes to everyday beauty and skincare, and I like to keep the same essentials in my bag as the ones on my bathroom counter. Here’s what’s in my bag:
1. Face Lotion with SPF: The more you sweat, the more your face dries out. I know, it seems totally counterintuitive! Keeping your skin hydrated is key in the summertime.
2. Neosporin ($9): Love adventure? Then you best have a surefire remedy for any misadventures that happen along the way. The new Neosporin + Pain, Itch, Scar is a “secret weapon” of families and beauty mavens alike — keep it on hand to be prepared to treat everything from beauty mishaps to cuts and scrapes from backyard shenanigans, outdoor cooking or sharp shells at the beach. It’s also great for relieving the inevitable itch you get after a cut, and can be used to help minimize the appearance of scars.
3. Blush + Bronzer Duo: Instead of carrying a powder, we recommend finding a blush and bronzer duo. The combo will give you that all-over glow that summer’s all about. They also won’t cake on as much as a typical powder, so you don’t have to worry about your face melting off.
4. Waterproof Mascara: Whether you’re planning to be water-side or not, waterproof mascara is a must for the hottest months of the year. It doubles as sweat-proof, and will ensure that your gorgeous eyes stay bright.
5. Sea Salt Spray: People tend to have a love hate relationship with this type of product, so we recommend making your own. To make a simple batch, combine hot water, epsom salts, sea salt (or Himalayan salt), leave-in conditioner and a few drops of essential oils for scent. If you want a natural version of Sun-in, drop a teaspoon of lemon juice into your mix as well.
2. WATERPROOF + SWEAT-PROOF BEAUTY
Now that we’ve got our bag packed, onto our morning routine. I keep things pretty minimal all year round, but summer is a great time to mix things up. Instead of heavy black eyeliner, I like to go for a pop of teal or a silvery gray liner. This helps to brighten your eyes and won’t turn into an accidental smokey eye on those particularly humid days. I have naturally wavy hair, so sea salt spray is my bestie for bringing those mermaid waves to life.
3. ADVENTURE TOTE AT THE READY
It pays to be prepared. Beach towel? Check. Sun hat? Oh yes. You never know when an opportunity for an impromptu pool party or beach bonfire will strike! Admittedly, this will not actually fit in most purses, but you should keep it ready at your door (or even under your desk).
4. BOOTIES THAT BREATHE
I know what you’re thinking. Sandal season, NOT bootie season. But I beg to differ. Personally, I still like to have a sturdy shoe in the summertime because I’m walking around more than any other time of year. And I love the ankle support that booties offer! So, I recommend opting for a pair of boots, booties or shoes that breathe. These ones have teeny tiny eyelet cut-outs all over the boot, making them ideal for a warm climate. You should probably throw a pair of flip flops in your purse though, just in case ;)
5. A STAPLE SCARF IS YOUR SUMMER BFF
Okay okay, a scarf is your BFF all year round. Even though winter usually gets all the scarf love, I’d venture to say I actually find more uses for scarves in the summer. I always keep one in my bag and bust it out if it gets chilly, if I need a quick-change cover-up or even if I need a picnic blanket in the park.
6. NAIL POLISH FOR QUICK FIXES
Yowza! Those nails are on point, right? And wouldn’t you know it? We’ve got a Nail Art Class to show you exactly how to achieve this same classy look. With just a few simple strokes, you too can rock Instagram-worthy nail art in a matter of minutes. Your photos of ice cream cones and popsicles just got a LOT more colorful.
7. STYLIN’ SUNNIES
So, I may or may not have a sunglass addiction. If Sunglasses Anonymous existed, I would be first in line. But that’s not a real thing, and fun frames for summer are one of my all-time favorite things. A statement pair of stunners is a must the moment the days start getting longer (aka now!).
8. ALL-NATURAL TONER
Because the air tends to be thicker in the summertime, our skin needs a little extra TLC to battle humidity, sweat, smog and even sunshine. We whipped up an all-natural toner by combining pomegranate, apple cider vinegar and orange zest. Apple cider vinegar is a superhero all by itself when it comes to health and our skin. Adding the pomegranate, which is known to be high in antioxidants and vitamins, will not only make this toner smell amazing, but it will help to treat age spots and fine lines too. To make your own toner, pull out the seeds from half of a pomegranate and muddle them to release all the juice. Strain the juice into your jar, add the apple cider vinegar and a little orange zest, and you are good to go!
9. FRESH FLORAL FRAGRANCE
Your lovely natural fragrance takes center stage in the summer months, and floral scents make a great complement to this. They’ll immediately invoke the feeling of being outside in nature, even if you’re cooped up in the office all day. Citrus scents are also great to add to your rotation.
10. BEACH-DAY-TO-DATE-NIGHT OUTFIT
Hey girl, hey. That’s right, I’m talking to myself and giving me mad props for already figuring out my 2016 summer uniform. The key to any beach-day-to-date-night outfit is traveling light. You don’t want to be the girl that’s carrying a huge duffel bag and does a complete costume change just to go to dinner or drinks. I’m rocking a patterned one-piece swimsuit that peeks through a sheer lacy sleeveless blouse. This peekaboo aspect adds a flirty feel to the look, and your swimsuit will make sure that everything that needs coverage is set. To add shape to the look, we’ve got a fitted maxi skirt hugging my waist and hips. You can thank sea salt spray for those waves!
Alright summer — bring it!
This post is a collaboration with Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc.
Author: Anjelika Temple
Styling + Modeling: Anjelika Temple
Photography: Kurt Andre