12 Ways to Prep for The Hunger Games
It's officially the week of The Hunger Games. At Brit HQ, we're preparing with everything we know best: trendy hairstyles, delicious bites, innovative gadgets, and even an app that helps you hone in on your archery skills. We've purchased our tickets for Friday night, and we're amped up to see Katniss battle The Capitol. Here are 12 ways that we're getting ourselves in fighting shape for this weekend's fiery premiere. And may the odds be ever in your favor. ;)
1. Chevron Side Braid: Channel Katniss’ fierce sense of style with our neon chevron how-to. Bonus points if you use electric wire, heavy duty rope or string for a bow as functional braid flair.
2. The Hunger Games Collection: Second on the beauty front is a set of freshly painted nails, Hunger Games style. Our favorite colors are definitely Electrify, Luxe and Lush, and Riveting.
4. Make “Peeta” Cups with Hummus: We think it's no coincidence that Peeta the baker sounds an awful lot like Pita the bread. Nourish yourself with these delectable pita cups before heading to the theatre.
5. 3D Food Printer: We're dreaming up all sorts of delicious dishes we'd love to program our 3D food printer to make, and imagine this is just the type of gadget The Capitol is already all over.
6. Haymitch Vodka Infusion: Nothing like a clear, flavorless elixir to get Haymitch feeling fighting fit. Transform any bottle of vodka into a Hunger Games-ready infusion. For fans of President Snow (wait, are there actual fans of President Snow?), use rosewater and rose petals. For Katniss, infuse with orange slices and serve with a "frilly white straw."
7. Work It Out With ViPR: No better way to prepare for fighting to the death (or watching it…) than with our favorite new fitness craze: ViPR.
8. Archery Challenge Free: If you can't make it to the gym to pump up those guns, practice a bit of archery on your smartphone. Your hand-eye coordination will thank you in the digital arena.
10. Solar Camp Shower: Maybe hygiene is at the bottom of most Tributes' list of priorities, but if we were prepping for the Games, we would definitely rock this solar-powered camp shower. Keeping warm, fresh, and undetectable by scent is actually pretty powerful.
12. Fiery Popcorn: And lastly, don't forget to fire up your bag of popcorn at the movie theatre this weekend. We recommend this Cinnamon Red Hot variety but also love dropping in a few M&Ms, Junior Mints, and a dash of sea salt.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)