Well, 2016, we had a good run… at least when it comes to our nails. Let’s take a moment to reminisce on the year that brought us everything from election-inspired designs to groovy tie-dye digits. Now that 2017 is here, we’re ready to change it up. New year, new nail art! Even if that means taking remover to our ugly sweater mani (tear). So in true trend-casting fashion, we took to Insta to scope out the major manis that are dominating our feeds RN (spoiler alert: metallics, geometric inspo and touches of black). Pull out your polish, because you’ll want to recreate these looks ASAP.
1. Split Chrome: Metallurgic chrome gets an edgy update with black polish. Pro tip: Use painter’s tape to create clean lines.
2. Galaxy Foil: We’re over the moon for this astronomy-inspired mani (sorry, we couldn’t resist). Lapis, purple and gold mesmerizes to infinity and beyond.
3. Vertical Ombre: Vertical ombre gets a dash of dazzle with gold sparkles. They’re perfect for a belated holiday party or first weekend of 2017 soiree. Is that a thing? If not, it totally should be.
4. Drip Drop: We’re gaga over these glam drips. Start with a gray base, then use a thin striper brush to create the “drips” of varying lengths — mauve (Floss Gloss Mauve Wives), soft blush rose (Floss Gloss Palazzo Pleasures), rose gold (Smith & Cult Opaque Rose Gold Foil) and white (Essie Blanc).
5. Shapes + Squiggles: If we asked a bunch of nail enthusiasts what a party mani means to them, we’d prob get a split between neon and metallic. So why not mix and match? A silver base with hot pink dots, green squiggles and orange triangles feels at once super ‘80s and totally 2017.
6. Gold Cuticles: We always thought the goal was to avoid polish on our fingers. Not with this chic — albeit counterintuitive — design. Keep your nails bare and and let your cuticles shine with a gold metallic shade.
7. Icy Color Blocking: Color blocking is already cool, but this icy color combo makes it positively frosty. How chic would this look with a full-on winter white ensemble?
8. Crystal Pixie: Give saturated hues a break with this ethereal geode mani. Gold embellishments and crystals finish this New Age design.
9. Chrome + Lines: Chrome nails are the epitome of outer space cool. Edge ‘em up with black lines, but steady hands are required! We’d suggest enlisting the help of one of your more creative pals or a pro, if you’re so inclined.
10. Constellations: It’s written in the stars, err, your nails. This celestial design feels super fresh in black and white. Craving metallics? You could totally swap out white for a sparkly silver polish.
11. Metallic Houndstooth: This is NOT your grandpa’s houndstooth. Shimmering jewel-toned polishes make it feel super luxe.
12. Noir: Onyx polish makes for an edgy negative space mani. Not digging such a dark hue? Why not try lapis or plum?
13. Plum Chrome: If you can’t tell by now, we’re kind of obsessed with chrome (well, us and everyone else on the planet). This chromed-out aubergine is equal parts moody, broody and sexy.
14. Metallic Outlines: We’re getting major Jem and the Holograms vibes. Swap out darker digits for an unexpected bubblegum hue. Outline each nail with a different metallic and finish with a silver star decal.
15. Geometric Monochrome: Not ready to commit to full-blown nail art? Try topping a nude base with a simple black and white angular outline.
16. Abstract Galaxy: Can’t decide between galaxy and geometric? Why not do both? Give your tips some love with a futuristic galaxy design, and use thin strips of silver foil to create an inverted “T” at the base.
17. Silver + Gold Ombre: Who said you had to choose between silver and gold? This glam duo (Essie Apres-Chic and Essie Getting Groovy) is like the Batman and Robin of metallics. Not saying which is which.
18. Marbleized Metallic: Major points for this abstract metallic marble design. The best part? You don’t need to be a pro to copy. Pick two or three of your fave shiny shades and give them a swirl. Perfection isn’t the goal. Have some fun with it!
19. Geometric Glass: Soft pink is classic, but kinda safe. Take it up a notch with strips of glass in coordinating hues.
20. Black + Gold: Cha-ching! Show off your sassy side with bold gold, black and white details. Rock a different design on each finger, because why not?
Looking for more mani inspo? Follow us on Pinterest!