5 Ways to Know If a Side Hustle Will Fit into Your Life
Years ago, one of my mentors shared some advice that would change my life: “99 percent is hard. 100 percent is easy.” Kind of confusing at first, right? But stay with me. Most people live in the 99 percent. They really want more money, more freedom, more passion, more fulfillment, more impact, and more meaning. But they haven’t fully committed to doing anything about it yet. They’re only at 99 percent. This makes committing time to a side hustle hard. Here are five ways to know if a side hustle will fit into your life.
1. You want it 100 percent. If you’re already committed to the idea of making your side hustle a reality, you eliminate the mental stress and anxiety that comes with making the big decision to just make it happen. Because there’s no more gray area, it’s clear what you need to do — say, building a professional website for your new biz or drafting a freelance work contract. Instead of moving a little bit in many different directions, when you’re at 100 percent, you direct your energy toward making huge strides in one direction. After watching my clients build successful side hustles, I learned that success ultimately comes down to two things: commitment and action. That’s what living in the 100 percent is all about.
2. You’ve been thinking about it for a long time. Chances are, if you’ve been thinking about a side hustle for 12 months or more, you are truly ready for one. When something has been filling up mental space over time, it’s a big sign that you’ll make it work, because it becomes too painful to NOT do it. When you make the decision to go after your passion project, the time previously spent procrastinating becomes time spent creating.
3. You’re productive. Are you a go-getter? Do you get stuff done? Are you always striving for better? When you care about productivity, efficiency, and making stuff happen, a side hustle will slide into your life like any other project.
4. You’re a planner. Dr. Stephen Covey, educator, speaker, and author of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, once said, “Don’t prioritize your schedule, schedule your priorities.” Is this you? Do you plan ahead? Do you keep a tight calendar? If so, you’re already a step ahead. Your stellar planning skills will come in handy when running a side biz.
5. You’re a doer. When you’re 100 percent in, you’re devoted to making your careers goals a reality. But when you’re only 99 percent there, it can be hard to put your side hustle first. There’s still some gray area when your friend invites you to her son’s birthday party, even though you planned to email some potential clients. Or there’s a Big Little Lies marathon on HBO, even though you should be writing articles to pitch media outlets. Or your boss offers you a promotion that’ll mean more hours and less fulfilling work, but it’s nothing more than a slightly better job title.
When you’re 99 percent in, you’re not sure what to do. There’s wiggle room to go to the party, binge HBO, take the promotion, do the things that won’t really bring you long-term happiness. But when you’re at 100 percent? There’s no alternative. You do what it takes to make your dreams a reality. Period. Because you DO.
Did you recently decide to launch a side hustle? Tweet us about it @BritandCo!
(Photo via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)