Planning a festive NYE party and still looking for a meatless appetizer to serve your vegetarian friends? These taco cups are loaded with a sautéed baby bella mushroom and smokey chipotle pepper mixture. Each cup is topped with cheddar cheese and baked to crispy perfection. You might want to make a double batch; your meat-loving friends will want some too!
Makes 12 Taco Cups
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil (plus more for brushing the tortillas)
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo (finely chopped) + 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 6 large flour tortillas
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- optional garnishes: julienne radishes, fresh cilantro leaves, salsa, sour cream, guacamole
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and heat the olive oil in a large skillet over a medium flame. Add the diced onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 3-5 minutes. Then add the minced garlic and diced mushrooms and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Season the mushrooms with ground cumin, salt and pepper. Fold in the finely chopped chipotle pepper and adobo sauce and toss to coat. Turn the flame off and mix in the chopped cilantro leaves and set the skillet aside.
2. Place the 6 tortillas in a pile on a cutting board. Using a sharp chef’s knife, slice off the rounded edges of the tortillas, creating a square. Then cut into 4 equal squares.
3. Generously spray the muffin cups with olive oil spray (or non-stick cooking spray of choice) and line each cup with two tortilla squares. Overlap the tortilla squares, creating a cup.
4. Divide the slightly cooled mushroom mixture among the tortilla-lined muffin cups.
5. Evenly sprinkle the shredded cheese over each cup. Brush the edges of the tortilla with olive oil and bake in your preheated oven for 15-17 minutes, or until the tortilla cups are golden and crispy.
6. Allow the taco bites to cool slightly before garnishing/serving.