Lounging on a beach with a great book is fun, but for some people, the best vacations are the action-packed ones. Whether it’s yoga, kayaking, skiing, or running, some travelers just want to get their sweat on while enjoying time off from work or school, and we can’t really blame them. We know that endorphins make you happy and that exercise can be great for your mental health, so it makes sense that lots of people have a preference for sporty, active trips over completely restful ones. If you’re thinking about taking a spring break trip where you can have crazy adventures and bliss out, here are some locales and retreats to consider.
1. G Adventures Galápagos Express Camping Adventure, Galápagos Islands: The best sporty vacations are the ones that allow you to stay active without even realizing it. The itinerary for this seven-day trip is already planned out for you. You’ll do everything from hiking a volcano to snorkeling off the coast of the Galápagos. Plus, you spend several nights camping. There are usually around 12 people doing the same trip at once, so you might even make some new friends while you’re globe-trotting! Trips run weekly, and if this one doesn’t sound quite right for you, the company has dozens of other active options all over the world. (Photo via G Adventures)
2. Alta Lodge Women’s Ski Camps, Alta, Utah: Need to brush up on your ski skills? There’s no better place to do that than on one of the best mountains in Utah. Happening twice in March, these ski retreats are just for the ladies and are jam-packed with personalized lessons to help you improve your form and feel totally comfortable on your skis. While this isn’t the best option for a total beginner, these three-day workshops are a great way to finally try those black diamond runs (go you!) or get your groove back after a little time away from the mountain. The camps include lodging, two meals per day, ski rentals, and lift tickets, so grab a gal pal and get ready to hit the slopes. (Photo via Alta Lodge)
3. Surfjack Hotel, Waikiki, Hawaii: If you want a vacation packed with opportunities to get out in the great outdoors, look no further than Hawaii. At the Surfjack, you can do traditional Hawaiian active excursions like heading out for a surf, or you can also check out the local farming scene on their Aloha Aina tour. You’ll get to visit two local community-based organic farms that supply the hotel’s restaurant with produce. Yum! (Photo via Surfjack)
4. Cotopaxi Volcano Biking, Quito, Ecuador: For those who like to get their cycle on, there are entire trips based around biking. This volcano biking tour combines the best of both worlds by giving you a super sweaty mountain biking experience against the backdrop of historical Inca sites and landmarks, Andean lakes, and even a gorgeous waterfall — all within Cotopaxi National Park. (Photo via Adventure Life)
5. Gurney’s Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa, Montauk, New York: Montauk is the place to be in the summer months, but during the early spring it’s quiet and even more charming than usual. Gurney’s boasts its own private beach, which is perfect for logging miles in crisp weather, as well as a seawater-fed indoor pool, where guests can do everything from swim laps to stand-up paddleboard yoga classes. They have a full schedule of fitness classes year-round, so you don’t have to worry about how you’re going to get in your sweat session. (Photo via Gurney’s Montauk)
6. Hilton Sedona Wellness Warrior Package, Sedona, Arizona: If you’re looking for a place with good vibes, Sedona is definitely worth a visit. Known as a place with healing and restorative powers, the town is a top destination for those who are hoping to feel refreshed and rejuvenated at the end of their vacay. This particular package includes unlimited fitness classes at the resort’s wellness center, as well as guidance on where to hike, bike, and take in the area’s gorgeous scenery. (Photo via Hilton Sedona)
7. Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, Portland, Oregon: Portland is pretty much the sportiest place ever, so it makes sense that one of the area’s top hotels, which is situated right on the waterfront, would offer tons of activity options. Choose from kayaking, hiking, and stand-up paddleboarding, depending on the weather. The hotel even has its own on-site yoga instructor, and you can also borrow bikes to cruise around town for free. (Photo via Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel)
8. Hacienda AltaGracia, Pérez Zeledón, Costa Rica: From aviation adventures to horseback riding, this place really has it all. Go river rafting on the Savegre River or sign up for the hotel’s “Caballista for the Day” package, where you get a chance to see what Costa Rican cowboys do all day. (Photo via Hacienda AltaGracia)
9. Four Seasons Koh Samui Muay Thai Package, Surat Thani, Thailand: You’ve probably heard about Muay Thai, Thailand’s national sport, which has celeb fans like Gina Rodriguez. Here, you can totally immerse yourself in the experience of Muay Thai training by taking advantage of this luxe package. You’ll snag private training, a private villa for two, and the chance to watch a real competition. (Photo via Four Seasons Koh Samui)
Have you ever taken a sporty vacation? Where did you go? Tell us about it @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Getty)