18 Style Essentials to Get You Through Airport Security STAT
You’re finally cashing in on that ticket to paradise — white sandy beaches, here you come! — and the only thing standing between you and full-on wanderlust bliss is airport security, AKA the biggest bummer of the whole trip. But doing the security shuffle doesn’t have to be a stressful experience. Carefully curating a killer vacation-ready wardrobe (complete with a lace-up wear-anywhere one piece any It girl would lust after and a few double-duty travel essentials) that allows you to pare down without compromising on style is a good first step, but there are a few other fashion tips and tricks you’ll want to heed to make your stint in security a total breeze. Here, we’ve pulled together a comprehensive list of Insta-worthy items that will make your in-transit experience crazy efficient and as stress-free as possible. Scroll on for the 18 style essentials that are about to become your on-the-go staples.
1. Zara Zigzag Print Scarf ($20): Ditch the coat if you can (stash it neatly in your carry-on) to eliminate the need for multiple trays and a costume change when it’s your turn in line. Keep an #OOTD-approved scarf on hand to use as a blanket or jacket at your gate or in transit — they’re easy to remove on the fly and can be folded up and tucked into your bag if necessary.
2. Aspinal of London Classic Travel Wallet ($220): All hail the holy grail of travel accessories. This bold-and-bright wallet isn’t just DDG — it’s the one piece that will keep you from being that person in the security line. There’s a spot for tickets, boarding passes, passports and more, so you’ll know where your MID (most important documents) are at all times.
3. Incase EO Hardshell Roller ($300): Pulling out your laptop or tablet can be one of the most stressful parts of going through security, especially when you’ve accidentally packed your tech in a not-so-easy-to-reach place. With its own laptop compartment (which just so happens to open flat for quick and easy screening), this streamlined carry-on suitcase makes whipping out electronics fast and totally effortless. Say sayonara to endless rummaging and eye rolls from your fellow passengers.
4. This Is Ground Cord Taco ($29, 5-pack): Who wants to spend those precious vacay minutes untangling cables and wires? The answer: no one. Keep your tech in check with gilded cord tacos that are as practical as they are easy on the eyes. You’ll thank yourself later.
5. ASOS White Stripe Jumpsuit ($122): Enter the item that’s guaranteed to become the cornerstone of every in-transit ensemble — a crazy cozy jumpsuit that has effortlessly chic written all over it. Team it with slides and a pair of stunner shades for a fuss-free look that’s ready to jet set.
6. Urban Outfitters Lucky Charm Layering Necklace Set ($26): Less is definitely more when it comes to your airport #OOTD. Resist the urge to go all out; while most baubles will make it through security without setting off the alarm, it’s best to stash your statement stunners in your carry-on. Stick with dainty pieces, like this lovely layered number, that will add polish to your look without the added fuss.
7. Ban.do Back Me Up! Mobile Charger ($30): TSA is cracking down on electronics that don’t turn on, so keep this pretty charger on hand to make sure your mobile has plenty of juice — plus there’s that airport selfie to think of too.
8. Jeffrey Campbell Sarika Flats ($90): Now is definitely not the time to give those thigh-high boots or imposing lace-up gladiators a go. Keep it simple with a pair of slides with RN appeal that you can kick off at a moment’s notice. DO bring along a pair of ankle socks — unless you don’t mind walking around barefoot.
9. Missguided Belt Woven Joggers ($31): Belts top the list of don’t-even-go-there items when it comes to effortless airport dressing — just don’t do it. These joggers, on the other hand, have one built right in, meaning your style game stays on point while you pass through security at record speed. Round out the outfit with a mock neck tank and a bold red lip for a look that’s ready to hit the ground running the second you step off the plane.
10. Zara Contrast Crossbody Bag ($40): Misplace your passport? Puh-lease. This color-block crossbody will keep your documents, cash and killer playlist at the ready so you can rest easy and focus on scouting out the best in-flight snacks.
11. Nasty Gal Secret Agent Bar Shades ($20): Ask any celeb — no airport-bound outfit is complete without a sleek pair of shades (to keep the paparazzi at bay, of course). Between the chic crossbar, purple lenses and teal ombre frames, these bad boys will be turning heads left and right.
12. Beats by Dre Solo 2 Wireless Headphones ($300): Whether you dig electro or indie rock, noise-isolating (or better yet, noise-cancelling) headphones are so necessary, because without fail you always manage to score the seat next to the chattiest passenger on the plane. The best part about this rose gold pair? They’re cordless and fold up with ease, so you can pack ’em in your bag no problem.
13. Mango Long Knit Sweater ($70): Coats, blazers and hoodies have to come off, but this pullover sweater? Not a chance — which is good news if you can’t bear the thought of parting ways with your snuggliest layers (always cold — that’s you). Pop it over a flowy maxi for ultra chill vibes or tuck it into a pair of distressed boyfriend jeans for a laid-back cool getup.
14. Baggu Large Flat Zip ($15): A neat and tidy carry-on isn’t just essential for your sanity — it’ll keep your time at security to a minimum too. Keep the interior of your bag organized with pretty pouches to neaten up tees, socks, accessories — whatever — so it’ll pass inspection like that.
15. Rose RejuvaSocks ($30): No shoes? No problem. These flowery socks have your feet covered (literally) for your rendez-vous with TSA. Classic ankle socks would definitely do the trick, but this set’s graduated compression is key for keeping feet happy during long-haul flights.
16. Herschel Supply Co. Dawson Backpack ($75): It’s a tall order, we know, but you might want to consider parting ways with your trusty tote for your next out-of-town trip. Opt instead for a chic backpack with plenty of convenient storage options that allow for easy access to all of your essentials — you know, like snacks. It’ll make sprinting to your terminal or snapping the obligatory airport pic that much easier.
17. Moth Primula Cocoon Cardigan ($98): Forget zips, ties and fussy details — to fly through security, you need layers that require minimal effort. And that’s where this oversized cardigan comes in. Whether you pair it with skinny jeans or a streamlined jumpsuit and slip-on sneakers, you won’t want to leave home without this soon-to-be hero piece.
18. Cuyana Leather Travel Case Set ($110): Make the security shuffle crazy easy by popping all of your toiletries into this luxe leather case that’s easy to spot. When you touch down at your destination, it’ll make a killer clutch for bar hopping or seaside soirees under the stars.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.