2016 is the year of the monkey which, according to Chinese tradition, means any baby born this year will be clever, bright and lucky. Since the spunky monkey is the original party animal, it seems only appropriate they get a baby shower worthy of their energetic vibes. Make sure you give that little one all the luck possible with the right flowers, the luckiest color scheme (white, gold and blue), baby shower-themed desserts and a few cheeky monkey decorations. Obviously.
1. Go Bananas: If a jungle party is too mainstream for your little monkey, you’ll love this bright and cheery yellow and white color scheme. Your guests will go bananas for yellow drinks and desserts, and you can’t go wrong with a giant comic book-style banana cutout. (via The Alison Show)
2. Lucky Colors: Blue, gold and white are the three lucky colors for the year of the monkey. Toss in a few pink accents and you’ve got a gorgeous color palette that can be totally gender neutral. (via Creative Juice)
3. Printable Banana Jar Labels: Peel out these party decorations in no time: Just print and cut and you’re all set. Fill glass jars with colorful candy (bonus points for banana flavors and lucky blue and yellow colors) and top the jars off with a cork “stem.” (via Design Eat Repeat)
4. Tropical Mail: Whether store-bought or handmade, invitations are the first thing your guests see. In keeping with the lively and witty monkey personality, these bold invites leave no question that the party is going to be a good one. (via Omiyage Blogs)
5. Gold Safari: Head to the dollar store and stock up on cheap toys that you can spray paint gold and white. Mini bouquets are easy to put together, but it’s probably best to avoid those unlucky shades of red. (via Project Safari)
6. DIY Banana Leaf Wreath: Bring on the tropical vibes with a tissue paper leaf wreath. This wreath is cute enough to hang in the nursery, or bring some summer feels into the house by embracing the palm print decor trend. (via Live Craft Love)
7. Peanut Butter Banana Pudding: Nothing says year of the monkey like a good banana dessert. A layered trifle is just the thing to show off a creamy yellow custard and lots of fresh banana slices. The mother-to-be will definitely appreciate the healthy aspect of this dessert, and you’ll love how easy they are to put together. (via The Chic)
8. Sock Monkey Cake: A sock monkey theme is a fun variation perfect for either a boy or a girl. Cover the top of a cake with sprinkles and then DIY a mini flag banner and a toy (or cookie) monkey. (via Project Nursery)
9. Jungle Dessert Table: If you want to go with more of a traditional jungle theme, go crazy with monkey face sugar cookies, yellow jello and all things banana. Banana leaves and palm fronds are great decorations, and you can always grab a few real bananas from the fruit basket and add them to the dessert table. (via Celebrations at Home)
10. Animal Cupcake Toppers ($6): Jazz up a batch of cupcakes with these adorable baby jungle animals. But don’t limit these to just cupcakes — add some bling to donuts, cake pops and even yummy drinks by sticking them on top of a straw.
11. Chrysanthemum Centerpiece: Chrysanthemums are a lucky bloom, and they are also totally perfect for a jungle-inspired shower thanks to their furry texture. You can find versions that are bold and spiky and other types that look exactly like little fur balls. Pick up a few shades of white and yellow to stay on theme and avoid unlucky red at all costs! (via Martha Stewart Weddings)
12. Stylish Safari: Take a cue from this golden birthday party and deck out the dessert bar with a white and gold tassel garland. A can of gold spray paint can go a long way in DIYing pieces for the decor, from painting the tops of drink stirrers to painting cheap plastic toys and setting them around the table. (via Hostess With the Mostess)
13. Baby Blue and Gold Backdrop: Monkey people are lucky in almost every aspect of life, and it’s written in the stars that they will have awesome careers. Get that little one reaching for the stars at an early age with a backdrop the new mommy can pose in front of. (via Inspired by This)
If you’re throwing a baby shower anytime soon, make sure you’re following us on Pinterest for even more party decor inspo!