Beach Bonanza! 40+ Must-Haves for Summer on the Shore
We hope that there’s some beach-going in your future, and if there is, we want you to be fully prepared to look chic on the shore. First you’ll need a tote (which you could also DIY), then you’ll need at towel, some gadgets and games, and of course a cooler. Finally, grab your sunglasses and flip flops (or other flat sandals). Gather everything up and you’re ready for a day of fun in the sun—just don’t forget the sunscreen!
1. The Catalina ($120): This is your basic weekender, but taken to a more stylish and refined place. We especially love that there’s a bottom zippered section for stashing your shoes or beach towel or anything else you want to keep separate from the rest of your gear.
2. Gap Printed Canvas Tote ($40): Brightly colored, sturdy, and easy to clean. What more could you ask for in a beach tote?
3. Cynthia Vincent Shopper ($85): Even if you’re just heading to the pool, this tote will give you at least a little bit of a tropical feel.
4. Shake Tote from Quirky ($90): Keep the sand from collecting in your bag with this smart tote from Quirky. It has a mesh bottom that lets you shake the sand out. So smart!
5. w. ander by Collina Strada Luna Tote Bag ($69): We love a good bucket tote, and the best part about this one is that the straps are attached in way that they fold down completely making it easy to find what you need inside the roomy tote.
6. Custom Boat and Tote Bag ($38–$58) L.L. Bean mastered the original, but they’ll also let you create your very own. Pretty much every color combination and monogram style is available. Go wild!
7. Double Handle Market Basket ($42): If you want to pretend your on the beach in the south of France, carry this woven market tote and do as the locals do.
8. DIY Scarf Tote: Don’t have time to pick up a new tote before hitting the beach? With a few simple knots you can turn a scarf into a bag to haul your essentials. Plus, if you want more DIY totes, we have 40 to choose from. (via Brit + Co)
10. Straw and Sequin Beach Tote ($77): For a more blinged-out version of the market basket try this sequin-bottomed tote. Just be prepared for some glare in the hot summer sun.
11. Beach Mosaic Warm Beach Towel ($24): This towel combines three of our favorite things: quatrefoil, ombré, and optional monogramming. We’re sold!
12. Caribe Paisley Beach Mats ($23 for 2): If you want something a bit sturdier than your towel on the sand, opt for one of these beach mats. Thankfully, they are easy to roll up when it’s time to pack them away.
13. Rainbow Stripe Beach Towel ($80): A bit on the pricey side, yes. But this plush striped towel will be the warmest welcome when you climb out of the pool or ocean shivering.
14. Union Jack Beach Towel ($150): It’s a British invasion on the beach! Show off your anglophile spirit with this Union Jack towel.
15. Mermaid Hooded Towel ($26): We couldn’t resist this hooded towel just in case you have a little beach-goer with you, or you like having just your shoulders wrapped up.
16. Authentic Pestemal Fouta Turkish Cotton Beach Towel ($33): If space is at a premium in your tote, choose a thin towel like this Turkish cotton beach towel. It’s striped and comes in nine bright colors—perfect.
17. Seaside Beach Towel ($30): Go for the basics with this towel—cotton, seaside patterns, and bright colors (not to mention well-priced).
18. Pendleton Jerome Spa Towel ($48): This Native American inspired print brings the rich colors of the Pendleton’s blankets to the beach in a much more affordable fashion.
19. Clay Beach Striped Towel ($20): Let the color of your bathing suit pop against the black and white backdrop of this plush towel.
20. Reserved Logo Beach Towel ($24): We saved the best for last, because this towel will help you save your lounger on the beach or by the pool.
21. Ray-Ban Original Wayfarer ($165): The shape might be the original but the colors are anything but. Staid light woodgrain is accented by a vibrant floral pattern on the inside of the arms of the shades.
22. UO Sweetheart Sunglasses ($14): You might only be able to pull these of while poolside, so soak up as many rays as you can while wearing them.
23. Oversized Round Rimless Sunglasses ($300): Yes, these are pricey, but we love these retro stunners from Stella McCartney. They’ll make you look like a million bucks.
24. Rounded Horn Sunglasses ($38): Horn-rimmed glasses are no longer a cause for ridicule thanks to this stylish pair.
25. Prada Oversized Folding Sunglasses ($375): Who knew Prada could be so practical? These specs fold down into half their size to take up less space in your clutch or handbag.
26. Pixel Frame Sunglasses ($8): For the super-nerd in your life, get these 8-bit style glasses with reflective grey lenses that only seem opaque.
28. Shoreline Eyeglasses Case ($18): You’ll need something to keep your lenses from getting scratched up, and we think this beach umbrella patterned case is just the ticket.
29. Rounded Cat Eye Sunglasses ($110): Look like a movie star with these thick-framed dark glasses.
30. Cerulean Tort Sunglasses ($38): What could be better than a tortoise shell frame? A blue tortoise shell frame, of course!
31. Beach Wedding Flip Flops ($30): Yes, these might be meant for a beach wedding, but we like them for more than just walking down a sandy aisle.
32. Havaianas Slim Fresh ($26): These bright, polka-dotted sandals come from one of our favorite flip flop brands.
34. Rainbow Single Layer Premier ($49): If you want some serious surfer cred, these leather sandals are just the ticket. They only get better the more you wear them.
35. DV Dania ($40): You can’t go wrong with gold flip flops, and we think that these are perfectly acceptable for activities off the beach as well.
36. Faux Patent Leather Flip-Flops ($9): These bright sandals are a steal! At that price you can get one in every color.
37. Melissa Harmonic Heart Flip Flops ($68): These flip flops are perfect for the girl who wears her heat on her sleeve, or on her shoe.
38. Guatemalan Love Flip Flops ($32): Color + comfort = the perfect beach footwear. We’re guessing you won’t want to take this pair off.
39. Malia Flip Flop ($20): Comfortable rubber flip flops might seem like an oxymoron, but not when it comes to these solid colored ones from Crocs.
40. Tkees Neon Tip Flip Flops ($50): A color-blocked flip flop? We’ll take it! These would be perfect for a Saturday afternoon shopping adventure.
41. LemLem Walsh Caftan Cover Up ($248): This gauzy tunic is exactly what you need to get to and from the beach or to lounge around the house in when you aren’t seaside.
42. Flight 001 Go Clean Beach Set ($66): What do you do at the end of the day with all your wet beach gear? That’s where these travel bags from Flight 001 come in handy. They’ll keep your wet things separate and prevent them from ruining your paperback or worse yet your e-reader.
43. Swim In Hat ($34): Protect your face from getting burned with this wide-brimmed, striped straw hat. There are four great color combos to choose from.
44. Plastic Sand Castle Molds ($14): What would a day at the beach be without building a sandcastle? These plastic molds will give you a head start on building your grainy palace.
45. Aquapac Waterproof Case ($32): Keep your beach read safe from the sand and surf with this plastic sleeve. You’ll be able to read all day without damaging your device.
What are your beach day must-haves? Tell us in the comments or on Twitter!