11 Romantic Reads to Gift Your Book-Loving Boo for Valentine’s Day
Flowers and chocolate are sweet, sure, but if you’re constantly finding your Valentine with their nose in a new book, gift them something they can enjoy way past the petals falling off or the box left empty. This Valentine’s Day, you can tell your love just how much you care without having to say a single thing, thanks to these books. From dramatic and serious to cute and whimsical, we’ve got a title for every kind reader, at every stage of their relationship!
1. Until I Find You by John Irving ($14): Here’s a sweeping, wandering novel that takes you on actor Jack Burns’s adventurous life story. His various relationships with women — from his mother and Catholic school girls to his great love — propel the funny and sweet saga of Burns’s life in an evocative and charming way.
<em> </em>by Audrey Niffenegger ($10): The ultimate modern romance novel, this is a must-read for men and women alike (chick lit, this is not!). The sci-fi, time-traveling slant helps keep it from getting too sappy, while Niffengger’s incredible character development will draw you immediately into Clare and Henry’s love story. Plus, the accompanying movie with Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana is a perfect date night movie idea.
<em> </em>by Lea Redmond ($15): The romance of the written word is not dead with this super cute booklet full of letter prompts for you to fill out for your special someone. Take the time to write the letters, seal them in their accompanying envelopes and let your love read them at their leisure. “I knew you were the one for me when…” and “What I love about us…” missives will make both of you feel crazy-in-love all over again.
5. Me, You, Us by Lisa Currie ($15): If you’d rather fill out something sweet together, this love-centric workbook from Lisa Currie is just the thing. There’s a place to draw matching tattoos, lists to fill out (“reasons why we’d stay up late together”) and places to recount precious memories. If you’re planning on staying in this Valentine’s Day, this cute book is a perfect way to cozy up!
6. I Love You! Around the World by Lisa Swerling and Ralph Lazar ($20): If saying it in English just doesn’t fully express how much you love your boo, go ahead and gift them this book from Lisa Swerling and Ralph Lazar for Valentine’s Day.
7. What I Love About Us ($10): With quick, cute prompts on each page: “We’re awesome at…”, “We do….best” and “I love it when we …,” you get to personalize your Valentine to be as sweet or silly as you want. It’s a fun swap for a traditional card that you’ll both want to revisit for years to come.
8. Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed ($10): This book of advice will no doubt inspire and captivate your Valentine. It’s full of funny, insightful and useful advice on how to love and live authentically and whole-heartedly.
9. My Life in France by Julia Child ($10): Once you gift Julia Child’s memoir of her time learning to cook in Paris to your love, be prepared to board a plane to France ASAP. Child makes both cooking and Paris seem like magical pursuits, and her deep love and commitment to her husband Paul will melt even the most cynical of hearts.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.