11 Romantic Reads to Gift Your Book-Loving Boo for Valentine’s Day
Flowers and chocolate are sweet, sure, but if you’re constantly finding your Valentine with their nose in a new book, gift them something they can enjoy way past the petals falling off or the box left empty. This Valentine’s Day, you can tell your love just how much you care without having to say a single thing, thanks to these books. From dramatic and serious to cute and whimsical, we’ve got a title for every kind reader, at every stage of their relationship!
1. Until I Find You by John Irving ($14): Here’s a sweeping, wandering novel that takes you on actor Jack Burns’s adventurous life story. His various relationships with women — from his mother and Catholic school girls to his great love — propel the funny and sweet saga of Burns’s life in an evocative and charming way.
<em> </em>by Audrey Niffenegger ($10): The ultimate modern romance novel, this is a must-read for men and women alike (chick lit, this is not!). The sci-fi, time-traveling slant helps keep it from getting too sappy, while Niffengger’s incredible character development will draw you immediately into Clare and Henry’s love story. Plus, the accompanying movie with Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana is a perfect date night movie idea.
<em> </em>by Lea Redmond ($15): The romance of the written word is not dead with this super cute booklet full of letter prompts for you to fill out for your special someone. Take the time to write the letters, seal them in their accompanying envelopes and let your love read them at their leisure. “I knew you were the one for me when…” and “What I love about us…” missives will make both of you feel crazy-in-love all over again.
5. Me, You, Us by Lisa Currie ($15): If you’d rather fill out something sweet together, this love-centric workbook from Lisa Currie is just the thing. There’s a place to draw matching tattoos, lists to fill out (“reasons why we’d stay up late together”) and places to recount precious memories. If you’re planning on staying in this Valentine’s Day, this cute book is a perfect way to cozy up!
6. I Love You! Around the World by Lisa Swerling and Ralph Lazar ($20): If saying it in English just doesn’t fully express how much you love your boo, go ahead and gift them this book from Lisa Swerling and Ralph Lazar for Valentine’s Day.
7. What I Love About Us ($10): With quick, cute prompts on each page: “We’re awesome at…”, “We do….best” and “I love it when we …,” you get to personalize your Valentine to be as sweet or silly as you want. It’s a fun swap for a traditional card that you’ll both want to revisit for years to come.
8. Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed ($10): This book of advice will no doubt inspire and captivate your Valentine. It’s full of funny, insightful and useful advice on how to love and live authentically and whole-heartedly.
9. My Life in France by Julia Child ($10): Once you gift Julia Child’s memoir of her time learning to cook in Paris to your love, be prepared to board a plane to France ASAP. Child makes both cooking and Paris seem like magical pursuits, and her deep love and commitment to her husband Paul will melt even the most cynical of hearts.