3 Ways to Make a Bread-Free Grilled Cheese
Happy National Grilled Cheese Month! For cheese lovers like us, we’re totally indulging this month. Then we thought what about all our friends who are gluten-free? Or folks who are trying to stay away from traditional carbs? Shouldn’t they get to join in on all the fun too? Of course they should. That’s why we whipped up three different varieties of bread-less grilled cheese. Enjoy!
1. Avocado Latkes Grilled Cheese: Avocados, latkes, and grilled cheese? Yes. These are for real.
– 2 lbs of peeled and shredded potatoes
– 1/2 an avocado
– 1/2 cup aged white cheddar
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 tablespoon flour
– 1 tablespoon garlic
– 1 teaspoon salt
Begin by washing, peeling and shredding the potatoes. A cheese grater works perfectly for this! Next combine the shredded potatoes, flour, garlic and salt until well mixed. Add in the avocado and mix again.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Place the the latkes into the oil. Each one should be about 3 inches in diameter. Flatten them out to approximately 1 inch thick. Cook each side until the edges are brown. About 2 minutes on each side but stoves can vary, so keep an eye on it. Set the latkes on a paper towel then transfer to the plate.
Top with grated white cheddar.
You can serve these open-faced or stack them to you heart’s desire! These also make a great weekend breakfast.
2. Sautéed Portabella Mushrooms with Gruyere: Who doesn’t love gruyere? Great thing about gruyere is it’s a great melting and baking cheese! Plus, the nutty flavor of gruyere pairs well with the arugula and mushrooms.
– 1-2 large Portabella mushrooms – think bigger than your hand
– 1 cup arugula
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1/4 lb of gruyere
Begin by clearing out the stem and gills of the mushroom. I use a spoon to do this and it works well. Next, carefully wash the mushrooms as they tend to be dirty. They do grow on the ground after all! Pat them dry.
Sauté the mushrooms with the olive oil over medium heat. About 4-5 minutes on each side depending on the thickness of the mushroom. If the mushrooms are particularly thick (more than 2 inches) slice them in half.
Next, place thin slices of gruyere over the mushrooms and broil on Hi for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted. I used my toaster oven for this! Perfect for making a meal for 2! No big oven needed. Layer the cheesy mushrooms and arugula together. Plate and serve with a knife and fork.
Voila! A super simple, yet elegant breadless grilled cheese!
3. Grilled Caprese: Are you all as obsessed as I am with caprese salads? Especially now that spring is officially here, fresh ingredients are on my mind. Enter basil. I just can’t get enough!
– 2 large tomatoes – at least a lb each, you want these to be able to hold up the heat.
– 1/2 lb fresh mozzarella
– 1/4 cup fresh basil
– salt and pepper if you like
Begin by washing the basil and tomatoes. Next slice the tomatoes into 1 1/2inch thick slices. Place thick slices of mozzarella on top. Broil on Hi for 5 minutes or until mozzarella is bubbly and beginning to brown. Again, the toaster oven works well if you don’t have an oven.
Serve open-faced or stack the broiled caprese grilled cheese. Top with lots of fresh torn basil and serve immediately.
So fresh and delicious! Another perfect way to celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month sans bread.
What are your favorite bread-less takes on grilled cheese? Or sandwiches in general? Tell us in the comments below.