These Are the Biggest Bridal Registry Gift Trends of 2016
Spring is unofficially the official season to shower all your soon-to-be-wed friends with gifts that appeal to their modern tastes. For your BFFs, you’ve probably already splurged on an Instagram-worthy engagement gift to help kick off their wedding planning marathon, but now you want to show them you know how to perfectly capture their modern or minimalist style with a gift that’ll help start their new married life. Whether you want to ace it with a traditional wedding registry gift or want to find that one-of-a-kind item they didn’t even know they needed, we’ve got you covered. Scroll below for the 17 best bridal shower gift trends of 2016.
1. Retro Style Appliances: The latest style appliances are taking serious inspo from decades of the past. The popular pastel line of SMEG Refrigerators ($1,999), SMEG Tea Kettles ($130) and SMEG Toasters ($200) are high up on many couples’ wish lists. Pretty much anything with SMEG in the name will give your friends that vintage kitchen vibe, with the same luxury of owning a brand new home appliance.
2. Mix + Match Plates: Many couples are opting for less formal vibes for their tableware and are choosing mix and match options that offer a more eclectic look. Take the hard work out of finding pieces you think will all work together and shop new mix-and-match lines like the Oh Joy for Target Appetizer Plates ($25) or the Forbury or Cliveden lines of dinner plates and tableware ($28+) from Anthropologie.
3. Portable Bar Carts: If the couple is more of the cocktails-and-apps type entertainers than the formal dinner types, a bar cart is a must-have. For the art deco lovers try the West Elm Aster Bar Cart ($799) or Macy’s Vitale Bar Cart ($699). For your modern, minimalist friends, opt for a Katie Kime Petite Lucite Bar Cart ($895).
4. Modern Ways to Save Memories: Your sentimental sista will love a gift that helps cherish those never-to-be-forgotten wedding memories. Gift her a Brit + Co Scrapbook Kit ($39), or choose a frame from her bridal registry and fill with one of their most swoon-worthy engagement photos.
5. Brass Accents: This year it’s all about the brass accents for home decor. The metal plays well with others (looking at you, copper!) and is perfect for small accessories like this Lief Brass Hexagon Vase ($63), Williams-Sonoma Home Brass + Marble Starburst Sculpture ($95) or a Serene Spaces Living Brass Triangle Lantern ($56).
6. Statement-Making Storage: There’s no longer any reason the happy couple has to stow away their extra wedding gifts in the deep shadows of their basement. This Lief Sweetgrass Gourds Basket ($45) and Indego Africa Pink + White Eyelash Basket ($125) are stylish, functional and meant to be left out for all eyes to see.
7. Neon Takes on Traditional Styles: There is nothing that adds a more modern pop than neon. The playful soon-to-be-wed couple will love this happy Lizzy Teapot ($15) or Wayne Teapot ($25) from CB2. Bonus points if you pair it with a set of beautifully packaged teas.
8. Portable Grilling: For the nature-loving adventurous types that like to live off the land, give a practical gift that they will actually get some good use out of this summer and during tailgate season. Portable grilling options have been popping up everywhere, like this Wild & Wolf Barbecue Crusader Portable Grill ($90) or the Bodum FRYKAT Picnic Grill ($85). Get your camping gear ready, because you’re sure to get an invite to the next great adventure.
9. Picnic Essentials: If the couple loves to go on dates in the open air, try a Picnic Time Heart Picnic Basket ($168), a Kate Spade Grass is Greener Picnic Blanket ($45) or a Brit + Co Gourmet Camping Utensil Set ($19). It’s a playful and romantic way to give something that will help them create a lasting memory together.
10. Retro Party Gadgets: If their registry is picked over, gift something that they might not *need*, but that’s perfect for their next impromptu shindig. Things like an Urban Outfitters Peanuts Pretzel Maker ($38), a Nostalgia Electrics Hot Dog Toaster ($18) or a Nostalgia Sugar Free Cotton Candy Machine ($40) are always a crowd pleaser.
11. Gold Flatware: The gold flatware trend is not going anywhere. Give the popular trend but with a twist, like this color-blocked Goa Cutlery Brushed Gold Boxed Set ($485) or the Marchesa by Lenox Rose Gold Imperial Caviar Setting ($90).
12. Gold-Rimmed Dishes: Every couple is told to get classic and last-forever white dishes. For the couple who likes the concept but still wants to add a little glitz to the everyday, the gold rim dish trend is spot on. Grab this West Elm 40 Piece Gold Rimmed Table Set ($279), or a set of the Dauville Dinner Plates ($35 each) or Dauville Cup + Saucer ($22 each).
13. Bar Cart Accessories: If you want to make a lasting impression on all future cocktail parties, gifting a memorable addition to their bar cart is the way to go. Try a Waterford Rebel Gin Decanter ($195), a Crate & Barrel Orb Cocktail Shaker ($25) or this West Elm Deco Barware Set ($79).
14. Gold Calligraphy Glassware: Cheers the happy couple with BHLDN Yay! Champagne Flutes ($40). The on-trend script will add some whimsy to their bar cart or next happy occasion.
15. Clear Knife Blocks: The clear knife block trend is both design-friendly and brilliant (never again guess which knife you’re grabbing), and it takes up way less counter space than a traditional wood block. Give the popular Schmidt Bros 13 Piece Set ($180) for a Scandi vibe, or the Farberware 6 Piece Knife Block Set ($33) for couples that love color. Chop to it!
16. DIY Wedding Kits and Classes: For the DIY bride, get her prepped for the jam-packed months ahead with a Brit+Co Calligraphy 201 Class ($29) or an Intro to Adobe Illustrator Class ($39). She’ll be on her way to DIY success just in time to send out those thank you cards.
17. Kitchen Space Savers: Urban dwellers all have one thing in common: a lack of space. There are luckily plenty of modern lines of kitchen gadgets that focus on saving valuable space and have great design. For playful couples, try the brightly colored Joseph + Joseph Nesting Mixing Bowls ($50, set of nine) or OpenSky’s Space Saver 4-in-1 Foldable Slicer + Grater ($70).
Browse our Brit + Co Pinterest boards for loads of wedding gift inspo this season!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.