15 British Snacks to Munch While You’re Bingeing on Love Actually
Watching Love Actually on repeat is basically a requirement of the holiday season. When you’re tired of shopping for presents and decorating your house, and even those holiday parties have lost their sparkle, it’s time to slow down and recharge. And what’s more perfect than binging on your favorite holiday movie and noshing on a British treat while you’re watching? Make use of the cold, wintry weather to whip up one of these holiday recipes, grab your blanket and head to the couch for the perfect winter afternoon.
1. Dark Chocolate and Pistachio Dipped Shortbread: The holidays call for a fancier take on regular old shortbread. Dip yours in melted chocolate and sprinkle with pistachios for a special treat. (via Persephone H)
2. Battenberg Cake: The history of this cake is very British — it was originally named to honor the wedding of Princess Victoria (a granddaughter of Queen Victoria) to Prince Louis of Battenberg. It’s made by baking a yellow and a pink sponge cake separately and combining the pieces together in a checkered pattern. The cake is held together by apricot jam and covered with marzipan. Yum! (via A Bookish Baker)
3. Homemade Penguins: McVities Penguin Biscuits are one of Britain’s favorite store-bought cookies. You don’t have to fly across the pond to try one — you can make your own version at home. (via A Bookish Baker)
5. Raw Banoffee Pie: One of Britain’s favorite desserts is the Banoffee Pie, whose name comes from combining its two most distinctive ingredients — bananas and coffee. If you’re tired of baking for the holidays, this no-bake cake is a great option. (via Nadia’s Healthy Kitchen)
7. Mini Victoria Sandwich: You might recognize this dessert from The Great British Bake-Off. Spend a dreary afternoon re-creating it to enjoy with Love Actually. The mini versions mean you can extend the snack-age even longer. (via Patty in the City)
10. Chocolate and Orange Spiced Hot Cross Buns: It’s said that those who share a hot cross bun are supposed to enjoy a strong friendship and bond for the next year, so make sure you enjoy one of these while snuggling up with your BFF during the movie. (via Cygnet Kitchen)
11. Cheddar Bacon Scones: Scones aren’t always just the sugar-laden version you find at the coffee shop — they can be savory, too. Think of this as the British version of “bacon egg and cheese, please!” (via XOXO Bella)
13. Sticky Toffee Banana Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting: The Brits know how to do dessert. This cake incorporates all the delicious flavors of toffee pudding, and the addition of banana makes it melt in your mouth. (via Rock Recipes)
15. Chocolate Orange Christmas Pudding: For the British, puddings are an integral part of the holidays. This chocolate-filled pudding will make you wonder why we don’t eat them more in the States. (via Wallflower Girl)
Find more sweet treat inspiration on the Brit+Co Pinterest boards.