Bring Back the Brooch With 12 to Buy + DIY
We’ve been falling hard for a bold, statement-making accessory lately: the brooch! We know what you’re thinking, but hear us out before you roll your eyes at the thought of wearing the often misunderstood jewelry piece. We agree that these glitzy pins can easily look, well, old-fashioned, and the only time you’re likely to pin that Victorian-era gem on your shirt is right before a visit to Granny’s house. But what if we told you that brooches are making a seriously stylish comeback? A trend that fashion kings Karl Lagerfeld and Oscar de la Renta have approved of?
With the recent resurgence of the brooch on the runways, there’s been a bounty of modernized and oh-so-chic baubles to choose from. Looking for something bedazzled? Or maybe you’d like to skip the glamour for something handmade? Whatever your style is, we’ve rounded up a bounty of brooches that you can buy or DIY. They’re sure to become your latest obsession du jour!
2. Venessa Arizaga ‘Shady’ and ‘Shaka’ Pins ($115 each): Whether you’re ready to rock on or keep it cool, these little pins are sure to suit your mood.
3. Love Lock Pins ($30): Not only are these a dead ringer for the Dolce & Gabbana pins seen on the fall runway, but the price point will definitely win the key to your heart.
4. Accessorize Like a French Girl: Nothing screams chic like a brooch, especially one that is as feminine as this chiffon pouf version. Try your hand at this delicate DIY that could even be fit for a bride! (via Love Maegan)
5. Enamel Pyramid Brooch ($65): Go bold or go home with this pyramid stud brooch by St. John. The onyx and gold are a far cry from the baubles in your granny’s jewelry box!
6. Painted Wood Brooch ($26): If shiny things aren’t your thing (although, we find that hard to believe ‘) these all-natural handcrafted wooden pins need to make it into your jewelry box, stat. Not only do these beauts feature hand drawn geometric designs but they also come with a story about the type of tree used!
7. Flower Power: Turn heads a lá Carrie Bradshaw in this chic oversized floral brooch. Unlike the fashionista’s (most likely overpriced) faux floral pin, you can make your own fresh floral version for way less! Talk about a savvy shopper. (via Honestly WTF)
8. Stars Galaxy Folies Brooch ($393): No doubt about it, you will be the center of the galaxy, er… we mean attention with this fabulous jaw-dropping brooch.
9. We All Scream for Ice Cream: Finally! Our love for sugary treats and craft making finally come together in this delicious ice cream-inspired brooch. We promise this DIY will satisfy even the strongest sweet tooth. (via Carnets Parisiens)
10. Sonia Rykiel Brooch ($130): We normally try to hide our safety pins, but this bedazzled brooch has us showing off our wear and tear!
Now that you’ve seen our favorite brooches, is this a trend you’ll try or better leave it at Gram’s? Tell us in the comments below!
(Main image via Wall Street Journal)