16 Carry-On Essentials for Your Next Trip
Summer is right around the corner, and that means one thing: vacation time. Traveling can be a bit stressful, so we’re bringing you a list of items to help alleviate some of that hassle. Whether you’re headed to NYC for some major shopping or to Miami for some much-needed beach time, we’ve got you covered with everything from stylish accessories to yummy snacks. Ready, set, scroll!
1. Carter Backpack ($79 – $189): This backpack is the carry-on to bring along. Whether you’re traveling with children or solo, this keeps everything out of your hands, making it a whole lot easier to grab a latte before you board. It’s also available in SEVEN other color combinations.
2. Gold Dots Print Travel Case ($25): Gold. Polka. Dots. This gorgeous bag is just what you need to keep all your beauty products organized and contained. Get ready for quick access to your lotion, lip balm and all those other must-have essentials.
3. Color Splash Scarf ($36): Don’t you just love the extreme climates of airplane travel? NOT. Keep those frigid cold fronts from making you shiver with a big, beautiful and colorful scarf.
4. Solid Lotion Stick ($10): It’s well known that airplanes can be very dehydrating for your skin. Keep this handy dandy lotion stick with you to avoid getting that not-so-attractive, super dry, cracked skin. Bonus: This product is 100% natural and vegan.
5. Gridlock Fanny Pack ($34): Store your phone, wallet and boarding pass in this gridlock fanny pack for quick access. It’s perfect for keeping your hands free to grab that coffee or quick snack while you rush to your gate.
6. DIY Travel Jewelry Organizer: One thing we all would love to avoid is getting our necklaces tangled, and another thing we totally love is any chance to DIY. Check out this adorable travel jewelry holder that’s easy peasy to make. (via Brit + Co)
7. Wally Stick-On iPhone Wallet ($40): This stick-on wallet will make your travel experience even easier. And since most of us can’t live without our phones, it’s perfect for whipping out your ID in the security line. Stick this in your fanny pack (see above) to make airport lines a breeze.
8. Whoo Hoo! Luggage Tag ($11): Just because you’re carrying on doesn’t mean you can’t have a fun luggage tag to stand out from the crowd. We love how bright and cheerful this tag is — it’s perfect way to start and end your vacay.
9. Clarins Beauty Flash Balm ($46): Sure, the airline offers you drinks to quench your thirst, but what about your skin? Use this to get an instant lift and hydration for your skin, both during and after your flight.
10. Back Me Up Mobile Charger ($30): What’s the number one thing besides snacks you’ll need on the airplane? Music, ebooks and games, of course! As soon as your cell phone battery hits the single digits, plug this bad boy right in to stay powered throughout your entire flight.
11. Ear Foam High Performance Headphones ($18): Looking to get some work done or perhaps watch a movie? Escape the chatter of fellow passengers (or screaming babies) with these comfy headphones.
12. Sugar Bandit Eau de Parfum ($50): This travel-size perfume is the best pick-me-up after a long flight. With scents of caramel, white chocolate, Madagascan vanilla, cedarwood and sandalwood, it’s a great way to freshen up.
13. CitySlips Luxe Classic Patent Travel Flats ($19): How cute are these foldable ballet slippers? They’re awesome if you’re planning to slip into some heels after your flight. And even if you’re not switching shoes, they are adorable all on their own.
14. Travel Blanket and Pillow Set ($33): We’ve already expressed our dislike for airplane temps. Stay even warmer with this travel blanket/pillow combo. You’ll be cozy and comfortable… even if you have that dreaded middle seat.
16. Dental Travel Kit ($6): After all that munching on chocolate, you’ll want to freshen up with some minty goodness.
What are your must-have carry-on items? Leave us a comment below!
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)