Raise your hand (or foot) if you have at least one pair of ho-hum, solid-color fabric sneakers sitting in your closet that have not seen the gorgeous light of day in a long, long time. Don’t let those cheap sneaks linger in shoe purgatory any longer! Instead, bust out your fabric pens (Sharpies will do) and a few other craft supplies you probably already have around the house, and get ready to take them to the next level. Once you’ve conquered sneakers, learn how to style them and start stepping up your boots — and if you’re ready to b-u-y instead of DIY, check out the chicest sneaks for spring.
1. Painted Sneakers for Spring: Go geometric or channel your inner artiste and freestyle with fabric paint. Either way, your feet will look fab. (via A Beautiful Mess)
2. DIY Ombre Sneakers: Why not make a pair in every color of the ombre rainbow? (via Mr. Kate)
3. Oodles of Doodles Sneakers: Seriously, do anyone’s white tennies ever stay white for long? Get ahead of the inevitable grass stains and put your well-practiced doodling skills to work. (via Dream a Little Bigger)
4. Put a (Painted) Bird on It: The residents of Portlandia would be so proud. (via Helluh Diary)
5. Striped Sneakers: Turn your stained old sneaks (yes, even the really gross ones) into striped beauties in six easy steps. (via Now That’s Pretty)
6. Pretty Patterned Sneakers: Grab a pack of paint pens and let your white sneakers be your canvas. The hardest part is choosing a pattern. (via Brit + Co)
7. Ribbon Shoelaces: Sometimes it’s as simple as a fresh pair of laces. Extra ribbon from the craft drawer to the rescue! (via Now That’s Pretty)
8. DIY Saddle Shoes: Hit the sock hop (or just the dive bar) in style with this retro-inspired DIY. Poodle skirt optional, but encouraged. (via Mom Spark)
9. Five-Minute Fringed Sneakers: We can’t verify that Stevie Nicks has ever worn sneaks, but we think she’d approve of all this fringe. (via Brit + Co)
10. DIY Polka Dot Sneakers: There’s absolutely no artistic skill required for these super-simple, Madewell-inspired polka dot beauties — just a fabric pen and a steady hand. (via Golden + Lovely)
11. Tie-Dye Galaxy Shoe: Finally, two of our loves combined: tie dye and galaxy print. (via SwellMayde)
12. Pastel Dip-Dye Sneakers: For a subtle spring upgrade, try this dip-dye DIY. (The pink ones are dyed with Strawberry Kool-Aid!) (via Design for Mankind)
How do you spruce up your sneakers? Tell us in the comments below!