Kanye may have warned us to watch the throne, but we’d rather someone else take care of the logistics while we live like royalty. From the Scottish Highlands to the Welsh countryside, here are the best castles to rent this summer. Binge-watch The Crown in advance, and prepare to live like the Queen (or Kween, if you prefer).
1. Aldourie Castle, Loch Ness, Scotland: Calling all Outlander fans: This castle in the Scottish Highlands is now open to visitors. The historic estate was refurbished earlier this year, making it available for you and your scotch-loving squad. Just beware of Loch Ness monsters. (Photo via Celtic Castles)
2. Ballyfin, County Laois, Ireland: Shoot clays, play croquet, and practice your falconry at this ultra-luxurious Irish castle. Just an hour outside Dublin, the castle was deemed the best resort hotel in the UK and Ireland by Travel & Leisure for the second year in a row. (Photo via Ballyfin)
3. Fonab Castle, Perthshire, Scotland: We’re back to Scotland with our third choice, Fonab Castle Hotel in the Perthshire Highlands. Visit in late August for the International Horse Trials, though you can enjoy bagpipes every Monday from May to September at Pitlochry Highland Night. (Photo via Fonab Castle Hotel)
4. Cardiff Castle, Cardiff, Wales: Representing Wales, we have Cardiff Castle. Cardiff is a fun nightlife destination no matter the time of year, but if you’re in the mood for a spookier evening, plan to visit earlier in the summer for one of the castle’s ghost tours, which run late June through late July.
5. Inverlochy Castle, Torlundy, Scotland: Another posh destination, the historic Inverlochy Castle Hotel is the perfect place to pretend you’re a glamorous extra on Downton Abbey. It was rated one of the top 2018 resort hotels by Travel & Leisure, second only to Ballyfin.
6. Dromoland Castle, Shannon, Ireland: See just how lucky the Irish really are with a stay at Dromoland Castle in Shannon. The hills are emerald green, and the castle is nothing short of spectacular.
7. Drummond Castle, Muthill, Crieff, Scotland: For a more affordable but equally enchanting option, rent a room in Drummond Castle on Airbnb for only $140 per night. Who says living like royalty isn’t for everyone?
8. Trim Castle, County Meath, Ireland: For a more modern option in the heart of ancient Ireland, Trim Castle Hotel offers contemporary bedroom suites amid the relics of the past.
9. Blair Castle, Perthshire, Scotland: Roam the infinitely picturesque gardens and observe some of the tallest trees in the country at Diana’s Grove before exploring the sculptures in Hercules Garden and taking off on the Gardens Sculpture Trail.
10. Ashford Castle, County Mayo, Ireland: Ashford Castle in County Mayo, Ireland is the perfect setting to live like the queen you secretly suspect you are. Head to the Relaxation Pool to indulge in one of the many spa treatments on site. There’s never been a better venue to treat yourself.