Find Out Why These 12 Celebrities Have Honorary Degrees
When you have a pretty impressive resume that includes a best-selling book series, album or movie (or all of the above!), colleges and universities will recognize your achievements with an honorary degree. Scroll through to see 12 of our favorite celebs who have at least one college degree based on super success and merit.
1. Kerry Washington: Yep, Olivia Pope is officially a doctor. This Scandal actress received her honorary degree from George Washington University, where she attended as an undergrad. (Photo via Jonathan Leibson/Getty)
2. J.K. Rowling: As avid Harry Potter readers and viewers, we were pretty stoked to see that J.K. Rowling has received not one, not two, but six honorary degrees. We guess when you write one of the most successful series of all time, you deserve a few honorary degrees. Her most recent was from Harvard, of course. (Photo via Jeff J. Mitchell/Getty)
3. Dolly Parton: Everyone’s favorite Southern darling was named an Honorary Doctorate at UT Knoxville back in 2009. You can now refer to her as Dr. Dolly ;) (Photo via Scott Barbour/Getty)
4. Meryl Streep: Consider Meryl Streep a Harvard grad. This uber-talented actress was presented with an honorary degree five years ago from the Ivy League school — and added another from Indiana University just last year. (Photo via Ron Hoskins/Getty)
5. Orlando Bloom: This hottie was recognized by the University of Kent for his outstanding acting achievements. We concur, University of Kent. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
6. Oprah Winfrey: Of course Oprah has one (well, a couple). Are you at all surprised? Because we’re not. (Photo via Paul Marotta/Getty)
7. Gloria Estefan: This singer and songwriter was awarded an honorary doctorate degree in just that — music — from Berklee College of Music. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
8. Julie Andrews: We love Julie Andrews in every role she plays, so it’s no wonder she was awarded a Doctor of Fine Arts degree at Yale. (Photo via Frederick M. Brown/Getty)
9. Conan O’Brien: Not only did Conan deliver a chuckle-worthy commencement speech at Dartmouth back in 2011, but he also accepted a Doctor of Arts degree from Dartmouth shortly after. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
10. Sean “Diddy” Combs: Dr. Combs is one more name you can add to the list of what to call this rapper, since he received an honorary degree at Howard University in 2014. We thought you were finished switching up your name, Diddy! (Photo via Allison Shelley/Getty)
11. David Bowie: This singer was awarded an honorary doctorate from Berklee College of Music back in 1999. Even though that was 16 years ago, it’s still totally worth a shoutout. (Photo via Andrew H. Walker/Getty)
12. Steven Tyler: While he’s already an Aerosmith member, American Idol judge and much more, Steven Tyler can add doctor to his resume after Berklee College of Music presented him with an honorary doctorate. (Photo via Douglas McFadd/Getty)
Who is your favorite celeb with an honorary degree? Talk to us in the comments.
(feature image via Michelly Rall / Stringer)