Christmas dinner may be an important part of the holiday, but Christmas morning is really where the magic’s at. Some people simply can’t imagine anything other than cinnamon rolls for their Christmas morning spreads, but for everyone else, there’s another option on the table: waffles. Carb-lovers everywhere, rejoice! These 14 Christmas morning waffle recipes are as festive, bright, colorful and sweet as the holidays demand. And — spoiler alert — there are even some healthy and gluten-free options for those with sensitivities.
1. Pumpkin Spice Waffles: PSL lovers everywhere will swear by these pumpkin spice-flavored waffles, which are just indulgent enough to help you celebrate the holiday in the coziest of fashions. Pro tip: Add some chopped nuts to the mixture to really play up the flavors of the season. (via Lovely Little Kitchen)
2. Chocolate Buttermilk Belgian Waffles: Belgian waffles are known for their thick and fluffy texture, and this recipe enhances this by adding rich cocoa and buttermilk into the mix. Serve with fresh fruit (and maybe even a dusting of Christmas-colored sprinkles) for even more festive flavor and color. (via Kitchen Confidante)
3. Gingerbread Doughnut Waffles With Maple Glaze: These waffles are crispy on the outside and delightfully doughy on the inside, just like a decadent cake donut. The secret is the thick batter, which contains an extra egg yolk for some additional oomph. (via Handle the Heat)
4. Red Velvet Waffles With Cream Cheese Glaze: Nothing says Christmas quite like the color red, and these red velvet waffles are the perfect way to start your holiday. And don’t skip out on the cream cheese glaze… it makes for the perfect combination with sweet, slightly chocolatey red velvet. (via Jennifer Thurston)
5. Gingerbread Waffles With Vanilla Cream Syrup: The classic holiday flavors of gingerbread are on display in these amazingly yummy waffles. Bonus points for the decadent syrup, which contains cream, vanilla, sugar and butter. Just be sure to add the vanilla last, after the mixture has been removed from the heat. (via Tastes Better from Scratch)
6. Chocolate-Peppermint Waffle Cookies: Okay, so these are technically cookies, but who cares? It’s a holiday, after all! Go crazy and eat ’em for breakfast. We promise your guests won’t be able to tell the difference. (via Better Homes and Garden)
7. Eggnog Brioche Waffles: Much like a combination of waffles and French toast, these delicious brioche waffles are dipped in a rich mixture of eggs, eggnog, sugar and a dash of nutmeg. To make a truly delectable dish, definitely go for a high-quality loaf of brioche. Festive and sophisticated. (via Mon Petit Four)
8. Cranberry Pecan Gingerbread Waffles With Orange Syrup: So the bad news is, these waffles call for quite a few ingredients, so they aren’t the kind of breakfast you can just whip up on a whim. The good news? They’re also positively BURSTING with flavor… orange, cranberry, pecans, pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, brown sugar, vanilla and molasses, to name a few. (via Carlsbad Cravings)
9. Peppermint Eggnog Waffle Sticks: These cute little waffle sticks can easily be made as traditional waffles, but cut them into sticks, and you can dip them into melted peppermint and top them with sprinkles. Another idea: You could keep them as whole waffles and simply color-dip them into the peppermint mixture. (via The Sweet Chick)
10. Peppermint Mocha Waffles: More of a peppermint mocha fan than a PSL lover? Whip up these mocha-inspired waffles at your Christmas morning celebration. Sprinkle with powdered sugar as well as green and red sugar crystals for the full holiday effect. (via The Healthy Maven)
11. Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Waffles: Calling all the health nuts out there! These no-sugar-added waffles are made with whole wheat flower, sweetened with fresh pumpkin and protein-packed with Greek yogurt. Drizzle pure honey or maple syrup over top for a little added sweetness. (via Layers of Happiness)
12. Pumpkin Churro Waffles: These super-sweet waffles are the stuff of Christmas morning DREAMS. They’re lightly fried, coated with cinnamon and sugar, and drizzled with cream cheese frosting for a bold recreation of the Spanish churro. (via Damn Delicious)
13. Gluten-Free Gingerbread Waffles: If there are any food sensitivities in your family, you’ll be happy to know there are plenty of gluten-free holiday waffle recipes out there. Case in point: This festive gingerbread-flavored concoction, which subs in an almond flour blend for traditional wheat flour. (via Gluten Free Mama)
14. Healthy Chocolate Waffles: Here’s another scrumptious, chocolatey waffle creation for those who love eating healthy. If you’re looking for a less sugary alternative to maple syrup or honey, we recommend topping your waffles with Greek yogurt (protein) and fresh berries (antioxidants). It’s a win-win for your body and your taste buds. (via Oh My! Creative)
Follow us on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration for the holidays and beyond.