*THIS* Is the Shoe Trend Everyone Will Be Sporting for Fall
The prospect of cooler days (and the arrival of fall fashion) is enough to get any self-proclaimed trendsetter ready to embark on a new adventure. Did someone say suede pinafore dresses, patchwork denim and chunky knits galore? Oh yeah. Throw in the MVS (most valuable shoe) of the season, and then we’ll be talking. But actually. It won’t be long before you’re swapping out your mile-high stilettos for a pair of versatile chunky block heels that can stand on their own. Style ‘em alongside your favorite throwback flares, a polished A-line mini or an ethereal maxi dress for an #OOTD that always hits the mark. Scroll down for 22 chunky-heeled shoes that are more than deserving of a spot in your back-to-school capsule wardrobe.
1. ASOS Hammock Novelty Bow Block Heel Sandal ($73): Upcoming b-day celebrations or a bachelorette party in paradise with your girl squad? Say no more. These confetti bow heels will give you an excuse to break out in a happy dance. Channel a young Carrie Bradshaw by teaming them with a tulle skirt or a playful pink fit-and-flare dress, ’cause YOLO.
2. M.Gemi The Amante ($298): Ciao, bella! Gear up for your very own Roman holiday with these ultra-femme Mary Janes that play well with twirl-worthy pleat skirts, timeless bow-neck blouses — you name it. Everything from the rounded toe to the chunky fuchsia heel will make you look (and feel) like a modern-day Audrey Hepburn.
3. Free People Lou Lou Block Heels ($178): If the vivid shade of sky blue doesn’t catch your attention, then the strappy buckle silhouette sure will. These suede block heel beauties will give you all the lift you need, minus the blisters. They’re sensible enough for a commute into the city, a late summer wedding or a leisurely stroll through the park. Make the most of the remaining summatime days by styling them with a floral frock or high-waisted cutoffs for the win.
4. Zara Mid-Heel Shoes With Contrasting Toe Cap ($40): Can you say instant street-style bait? Run, don’t walk, to snag these mid-heel pumps with a contrasting cap-toe. For an off-duty uniform that slays, slip them on with denim overalls and a graphic sweatshirt, or go glam with a sophisticated midi skirt.
5. Schutz Ariana Leopard Heel ($200): Girl, you best be bringing it with these after hours-approved leopard pumps that are ready to hit the pavement in style. The tie-up tassel detail (and modest block heel) will lend just the right amount of sex appeal to a schoolgirl-inspired pinafore dress or button-front skirt.
6. J.Crew Avery Heels in Colorblock Suede ($248): Who run the world? Show everyone who’s boss (YOU) by sporting a pair of J.Crew’s coveted Avery heels with a Jenna Lyons-approved power suit and stylish specs. These color-blocked beauties are not only totally wearable for an afternoon spent running errands, but the menswear-inspired style (tassels and all) will make you want to ditch your pretty ballerinas.
7. Topshop Rich Satin Cross Strap Sandals ($85): Fancy date night with bae? The floral embroidered heels on these stunners will lend serious panache to any slip dress or deep V-neck jumpsuit. All that’s missing is a bold red pout and an easy-breezy kimono for a come-hither look.
8. Bettye Muller Buzz Sandals ($139): Between fulfilling bridesmaid duties and attending Sunday brunch, a pair of these trusty floral ankle strap sandals will always do you right. Not only will they complement all your beloved summer whites and seasonal prints, but they’re cha-cha slide-approved. #Winning
9. MSGM Floral Embroidery Booties ($505): Fall is synonymous with crisp afternoons and It girl-approved embroidered booties that call to mind spontaneous PSL runs. Dress these stylish stompers down with cropped flares and a lace-up bodysuit (boho queen right here!), or hit the town in a neck-plunging bodycon dress for a getup that demands attention.
10. Zara Buckled Block Heel Shoes ($50): “So ugly, they’re actually kind of cute,” says every passerby during your morning commute. If slingbacks and big buckles are your thing, then these retro block heels could be a match made in heaven. They’re modest enough to wear with your rotation of streamlined pencil skirts, but cool-girl enough to toss on alongside a moto skirt and metallic bomber jacket.
11. Jeffrey Campbell Gulana-TSL Metallic Heeled Loafers ($135): Stuffy boardroom style? Not on our watch. Usher in disco days with these metallic fuchsia heeled loafers that will take any nine-to-five getup from zero to 100 like that. The playful tassels will lend instant polish to even your most blasé black trousers, especially when teamed with a cutting-edge tuxedo blazer.
12. Free People Golden Hour Platform ($168): The chunkier the heel, the higher the platform: Allow this to be your mantra this fall. Enter the cork platform sandals that were made for an epic GNO. Style them with distressed skinny jeans and a leather jacket for a tough-girl-chic look, or throw them on alongside an OTS dress for drinks on the veranda. Your move.
13. Mango Printed Pumps ($80): A wardrobe reboot is exactly what the doctor ordered. Before you fall victim to the same ol’ suede ankle booties (been there, done that), feast your eyes upon these statement-making printed pumps with major back-to-school appeal. They’ll look just as foolproof with mom jeans and a graphic t-shirt as with on-trend culottes for the office.
14. H&M Sandals With Lacing ($50): Turn down for what?! Where there’s a pair of risqué open-toed sandals, an end-of-summer party surely isn’t too far behind. While the sensible block heel may read safe, it’s the trend-right lacing that’s really catching our eye. Team these bad boys with metallic joggers, a cold-shoulder blouse or a casual sundress for max perfection.
15. Urban Outfitters Florence Slingback Heel ($79): Hello, wear-everywhere denim slingbacks that can do no wrong. These lazy girl-approved mules are this close to becoming your new hero piece in disguise, especially with a longline vest in tow. Comfort factor aside, you could even toss ‘em on with silk PJs and still look like a style maven.
16. Topshop Lorna Platform Sandals ($90): Take it there with these free-wheelin’ red-orange peep-toe platforms guaranteed to give you legs that go on for miles (and miles). Proceed to style them with your fave vintage blouse, some bell bottoms and an effortless fedora for a ‘70s-esque look that’s so RN.
17. ASOS New Look Tortoise Block Heel ($41): Not even HR can side-eye these next-level tortoiseshell block heels. They’re a step up from your classic black pumps without feeling overly trendy or dated. With major now-and-later potential, they’ll take you from a one o’clock meeting to post-work drinks — zero wardrobe swaps required. Count us in, please.
18. Topshop Persia Limited Edition High Shearling Mules ($160): We know what you’re thinking: WTF is that? Take a page from Leandra Medine herself by styling these man-repelling magenta mules (did you check out that shearling heel?) with an equally outlandish topper once the temps dip low. Pics or it didn’t happen!
19. Missguided Strappy Wrap Around Block Heel Sandal Khaki ($64): Not so fast! Summer’s not over by a long shot. DO pack these army green lace-up block heel sandals for a quick stint in Ibiza spent soaking up rays. They’ll elevate everything from a sultry one-piece to a high-low maxi dress and put your gorgeous gams front and center.
20. Vicenza Calcados Heels ($148): Cue the glitz and glamour: We’ve uncovered the quintessential gold party pumps that will take you from attending a fall soiree (or two) to ringing in the new year. Not just restricted to fancier affairs, the sequined block heels are guaranteed to add a little extra sumthin’ sumthin’ to plain black slacks (for the boardroom, natch) or a LBD that’s seen better days.
21. Free People Cecile Ankle Boot ($168): Sees ankle booties of our dreams, *adds to cart* without any hesitation. Start planning out your post-festival days with these deep red suede ankle booties that call for a fringed vest and your most free-spirited bell-sleeve dress. Come pumpkin-picking season, pair them with cuffed boyfriend jeans and an oversized knit sweater for a look that’s downright fierce.
22. Loeffler Randall Sydnee Thick Heel Pump ($395): We saved the best for last for your sartorial delight. Between the to-die-for floral embroidery and luxe suede, these block-heel pumps check all the boxes (and then some). Pair them with a denim pinafore dress during the a.m. before switching to a flouncy drop-waist dress for the p.m.
Will you be test-driving block heels this fall? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.