7 Times Celebs Proved Button-Down Shirts Are NOT Boring
In our opinion, the collared shirt doesn’t get nearly enough love. Sure, it’s basic, and okay, maybe a little bit bland at times, but when styled right it can totally take an outfit to the next level. And during that weird transitional phase between summer and fall, this style can be key to staying comfortable and stylish at the same time. If you’re doubtful that a collared top can look anything but drab, take a look at how these celebs wear the look to have your mind totally blown.
1. Add a bow tie. Statement necklace not really your thing? Follow in Jenna Lyons’s footsteps and rock a bow tie! Who says they’re only for men? (Photo via Jamie McCarthy)
Pair it with a fancy skirt.
3. Rock it under overalls. Instantly class up your favorite pair of overalls by swapping out that concert tee with a crispy button-down. Pop on some patterned pumps to really take the look to the next level. (Photo via Chris Jackson/Getty)
4. Wear in underneath a tank top. Worried that your favorite sleeveless tank will have to be put away come September? Think again. Follow in Mindy’s footstep and pair it with a fun collared top. (Photo via Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty)
5. Sport it under a sweater. When in doubt, go for this tried-and-true combo that will always add a chic, preppy look to any outfit. (Photo via Neilson Barnard/Getty)
6. Add a statement necklace. If you’re looking for a super simple way to add an update to the style, a statement necklace is sure to do the trick. Whether you’re rocking a collared top with jeans or a skirt or under a sweater, a bold necklace is a welcome update to all outfit options. (Photo via Frazer Harrison/Getty)
7. Wear just the collar under a dress. If you can’t bring yourself to wear the full collared shirt just yet, break into the clean look by cutting off just the collar and popping it on underneath some of your favorite pieces. It’s a fun way to try out the trend that’s also easily removable if you decide you’re not into it. (Photo via Valerie Macon/Getty)