27 Collared Shirts You’ll Actually Want to Wear Outside the Office
Collared shirts are common practice at the office, but they have so much to give during off-duty hours too. The perfect example? That classic, white borrowed-from-the-boys number. It’s a sartorial star during the work week, effortlessly creating flawless outfit after flawless outfit with nothing more than a few tried-and-true separates and a pair of killer kicks, but on the weekend they transform boyfriend jeans, pinafores and A-line minis into total street-style photog bait. And that’s just your average white button-down. Enter 27 other equally as-on-point interpretations that pack just as much versatility and fashion know-how. Your non-business hours are about to get a serious sartorial upgrade.
1. Megan x ASOS Suede Belted Shirt ($117): Suede will certainly kick your work week wardrobe into overdrive, but it will win you some major style points off-duty too. Pair with ’70s flares or skinny jeans and platform mules for a casually cool look.
2. Oh My Love Bell Sleeve Button-Down Shirt ($85): A little bit throwback and a whole lot chic, this bell-sleeved number will change the way you do on-duty dressing. Partner with tailored trousers or layer underneath a jacquard sheath.
3. & Other Stories Classic Silk Shirt ($95): You’ll get major mileage out of a silk top whether by layering it under sweaters on brisk fall days or rocking it on its own for dinner and drinks. To balance out the classic vibes, style it with eye-catching prints and modern silhouettes.
4. Steffan Schraut The Heritage Shirt With Sequins ($265): A sprinkling of midnight blue sequins transforms a classic checked shirt into a luxe statement piece. Wear it at the office or on a night out with crop trousers or a metallic A-line skirt.
5. ASOS Spot Tie Wrap Blouse ($58): Polka dots have a tendency to feel blasé, but this tie-front topper is anything but. Spots with an illustrated flair give the traditional print a playful, modern update. Layer on top of a leather-look pencil skirt or your favorite pair of jeans.
6. COS Pleated Front Shirt ($89): Strict dress codes leave little leeway for creativity, so you have to know how to work within your limits. The sleek structure of this pleated top will win the boss’s seal of approval, while allowing you to show off your finely tuned fashion sensibilities.
7. French Connection After Party Floral Top ($128): With a bold floral print in striking hues, this is one top you’ll want to have on hand when you have grand after-work plans. No need to change out of those structured culottes, trousers or midi skirts; it works with any elevated separate for after hours.
8. Sister Jane Ranch Shirt ($80): Get a little cowgirl glam by pairing up a Western top with a leather pleated skirt, ankle boots and chic hoop earrings.
9. Forever21 Graduated Stripe Shirt ($11): A relaxed-fit shirt unlocks endless sartorial doors for both work and play. Wear it with joggers and simple pumps for a preppy-chic-meets-athleisure ensemble.
10. Mango Polka-Dot Cotton Shirt ($45): We’re all about being prepared, so having a backup on hand for when our favorite chambray shirt is in the wash is non-negotiable. This subtle polka dot number offers the same casual appeal but with the added allure of color blocked panels. Sport it with slim-fit white denim and knee-high boots.
11. Y.A.S. Seida Shirt ($69): This sunny yellow top is a savior on gloomy days and on mornings when the what-to-wear question seems ridiculously complex. Minimal and elegant, it’s the shortcut to polished.
12. Forever21 Collared Zipfront Blouse ($25): Nail sports chic in and out of the office with a zipfront top and silky joggers. Complete the look with leopard print loafers, a statement cuff and a streamlined crossbody bag.
13. Zara Long Blouse ($40): Stripes will always do you right, which is reason enough to keep them around. Outside your nine to five, this look-at-me number serves as a hero piece for wide leg jeans, skortalls and yup, even sweats.
14. Cooperative Peter Pan Collar Button-Down Shirt ($40): Tone down rugged and ultra modern pieces with sweet, feminine details like an impossibly charming peter pan collar on a crop button-down top. It’d be killer with a suede skirt and embellished loafers, and you’ll want to work it into your rotation stat.
15. Forever21 Contemporary Bug Print Shirt ($20): Typically bugs give us the creeps, but we’re willing to grin and bear it for the sake of fashion. Luckily these colorful creatures are totally benign, adding only an element of playfulness to everyday looks.
16. Topshop Unique Windermere Floral-Print Silk Crepe de Chine Shirt ($240): With its vibrant dandelions and flattering shape, this top gives a whole new meaning to “in the weeds.” Tuck it into a mini skirt or let it hang loose with gray skinny jeans.
17. Mango Tie-Neck Blouse ($60): There’s a reason Karl Lagerfeld sports this style on the daily — it just works. Steal some of the designer’s signature style by pairing up this bow-neck blouse with printed pants, suede pinafores and soft sweater dresses.
18. Front Row Shop Double Breasted Shirt With Long Sleeve ($56): Who needs a blazer when you’ve got a double-breasted top? A sartorial shoo-in for lovers of minimalism, it adds an unexpected polished edge to denim and basic duds.
19. COS Graphic Print Knit Top ($45): Preppy and playful with a hint of sports chic, this laid-back top is made for pleated minis, culottes and longline skirts. Wear with tennis trainers for an extra dose of athleisure.
20. Mango Geometric Print Shirt Dress ($60): Whether you wear it as a shirt dress layered over leggings or as an eye-catching finisher to tailored trousers, this tricky geo top is the transformative piece you’ve been waiting for. For a truly standout look, pair fluoro accents and quirky kicks.
21. A Common Space Chiffon Slit Front Blouse ($45): Contemporary and glam in a totally minimalistic way, this blouse is unlike anything you’ve seen before. Tucked into denim or sported over wool wide legs, its sartorial prowess is undeniable.
22. Pixie Market Lucky Embroidery Collar Shirt ($88): Luck is certainly on your side when you have this embroidered button-down in tow. The classic style offers endless possibilities, making an on-point match with almost every piece in your closet.
23. Zara Swiss Dot Shirt ($50): Subtle gold Swiss dots feel sophisticated enough to wear with even your smartest suits, but versatile enough to style with dressed-down separates like overalls, joggers and colorful denim. To really make the look feel out-of-office accessible, match up with vibrant slip-on sneakers.
24. The Kooples Studded Collar Lace Shirt ($285): Ladylike lace with a badass twist infuse this flirty, feminine top with attitude.
25. Zara Long Printed Shirt ($50): This ecru top brings new meaning to exotic prints with an unexpected combo of stars and leopard spots. It would be killer with tuxedo-stripe trousers and contrast pumps or a denim pinafore dress and hightops.
26. Mango Printed Shirt ($40): No money for a vacation? No problem. This Eiffel Tower-studded number will whisk you off to the City of Lights without having to leave your seat. Style it French girl with an oversized cocoon coat, blanket scarf and sassy ankle boots, then head to your favorite coffee shop for a café au lait.
27. Mango Animal Print Shirt ($40): Leopard, cheetah and zebra prints are as good as neutrals in our book, meaning you should 100% pair them with everything from bold graphic bottoms to cozy sweater skirts.
Do you wear collared shirts outside the office? How do you style it? Tell us in the comments!