10 Daring Color Combinations to Wear Now
Traditional fashion rules are going by the wayside—you can now wear white year round, wear some shorts styles in the office, and mix gold and silver jewelry any way you like. And we’re adding another breakable fashion rule to the list—combining colors that you’d previously kept at opposite ends of your closet. We’re talking red and pink, navy and black, and orange and…everything. What’s the secret? Color blocking, of course! The big patches of color, usually accented with a neutral shade, make these bright hues easy to wear. What’s your favorite unexpected color combination?
1. Happy Heart Baggy Beach Sweater ($108): Pink and red (especially with hearts!) used to only be acceptable on one day of the year. Now, you can wear this sweater whenever you please.
2. Chiffon Dress by Wal G ($66): Black and blue can be one of the chicest combinations around. Especially when accented by white and gold. This color block dress is at the top of our wish list.
3. Chalayan Gray Line T-Shirt Dress in Color Block ($224): Orange just doesn’t play well with others. Along with not rhyming with any other word in the English language, it is one of the hardest colors to pair. We love the way the dark green band at the bottom of this dress grounds the bright hue.
4. Wrapped Up in Charm Flats ($35): Some combinations of red and yellow can bring to mind the golden arches, but these faux suede flats, with a goldenrod bow, are cute without connotation.
5. Roksanda Ilincic Two-Tone Gown ($2,210): Pink and orange is a tricky combo to pull off. This gown works is because the designer went full neon. Who wouldn’t want to show up to a formal affair in this stunner?
6. Mesh-Sleeve Colorblock Sweater ($45): Peach and brown aren’t colors you’d likely pair on your own, but this sweatshirt-inspired sweater has just enough deliberate contrast to make it work.
7. Enzyme Check Smock Dress ($72): Another good example of wearing black and blue together, the way the black stripes fade to gray is what makes this combo work.
8. Jarlo Striped Maxi Dress in Color Block ($92): The fact that a darker orange is paired with a mint green, makes this unexpected color combo work. We love how fresh it feels, especially with the peachy cream layer on top. It’s the perfect end-of-summer dress.
9. Collection Cafe Capri in Reverse Tuxedo ($298): You have to look closely to see the black contrast stripe on the inseam of this cropped pant. The sheen of the fabric makes it blend in, so you can barely tell you’re mixing colors. It’s a good piece to ease your way in to mixing colors.
10. Red Colourblock Swimsuit ($68): One of our favorite examples of red and pink, this retro-styled swimsuit is still sexy even though it’s a one-piece. It also comes in a purple and peach version—another daring combo!
Bonus: Nishe Prom Dress in Ombre Lace ($102): Now this one, we’re on the fence about. On the one hand, we love the way the yellow and orange are somewhere between color block and ombre, but with the white on top, we can’t help but think of candy corn, which means we’re now hungry.
What’s your favorite daring color combo? Tell us in the comments!
Our undergarments might have taken a backseat in 2020, but with a new year upon us, we're feeling inspired to reprioritize our most intimate clothing layer — especially in time for Valentine's Day. Because hey, what better way to kickstart a season of self-love than by treating yourself to a confidence-boosting set of lingerie?
We turned to trusted intimates brand Adore Me to set us straight on trends for the year ahead, featuring size-inclusive bodysuits, romantic bustiers, lacy babydoll styles, and everything in between. Luxe sets start at $24.95 with free shipping and exchanges, and if you're not sure what style would work best for you, Adore Me has an at-home styling service called the Elite Box. You can try everything on from the comfort and safety of your home, keep what you love, and send back the rest totally hassle-free. Need more to pique your interest? Scroll ahead to see the silky lingerie and loungewear pieces we're adding to our cart.
Adore Me Svana Contour Set ($24.95): You can't go wrong with this playful satin cherry print and lace design.
Adore Me Luana Camisole & Short Set ($24.95): It was about time for a PJ upgrade, and this silky set is perfect for sweet dreamin' and lounging around the house.
Adore Me Gynger Unlined Set ($24.95): Va-va-voom! Hands-down the sexiest piece in the collection, this bra boasts a fiery red bow and skin-showing cups — literally confidence in a bra!
Adore Me Evetta Unlined Set ($24.95): This barely-there flouncy lace set is for when you'd almost rather wear nothing at all.
Adore Me Desirae Robe ($24.95): Take your self-care to the next level with this so-soft robe with subtle lace detailing.
Adore Me Clarisse Unlined Bodysuit ($24.95): This floral lace bodysuit with adjustable attached garters is straight out of our lingerie fantasy.
Adore Me Charlize Unlined Set ($24.95): If plum is more your power color, you'll love this sheer lace set.
Adore Me Helene Cheeky Plus (5 for $20): Our underwear drawer needs a little TLC too, and these comfy undies with coverage are the answer.
Adore Me Kaia Contour Plus Set ($24.95): Cutouts are all the rage, so why not have them in your underwear too?
Adore Me Kaia Contour Set ($24.95): Oh, and it comes in fire engine red — yes, please!
Adore Me Clarisse Bodysuit ($24.95): If you weren't sure about bodysuits, let this classic style change your mind.
Adore Me Corina Push Up Bustier ($24.95): Like more volume in the cleavage area? This sexy corset situation is for you.