Break out of the all-white cake mold and try a colorful cake instead! Cakes and accents in every color, from pretty peach to bold gold stand out and add style to your wedding or event. Whether you’re planning a rustic vintage retreat or a modern, sophisticated affair, there’s a colorful cake that will work for any big event. Here are 12 styles to get you started, all seen on our favorite wedding and event planning site, Loverly.
1. Hot Dots: Cute circles in a fresh palette punch up a basic white cake. These are easy to make using cookie cutters and a sheet of fondant. The buttons are especially cute, aren’t they?
2. The Bold and the Beautiful: These vibrant cakes are so dramatic and glamorous; we love the attention to detail. Note: not for the faint of heart. These take a bit more practice, but are gorgeous enough to make the time worth it.
3. Flag Day: Colorful pennants and buntings are a simple way to make it feel like a party! To create a similar effect, use the techniques we display in our washi tape party kit and wrap around any frosted cake. Or use skewers to hang pennants on top.
4. Minty Fresh: This cool-as-a-cucumber shade works well for both modern and vintage weddings. Adding a ribbon around the base of your cake is a simple way to take it from drab to glam.
5. You’re Golden: Glam gold accents with a decidedly deco feel are the best kind of guilt trip. Add fresh flowers to the top to give it that extra sparkle.
6. Ombré All the Way: These cakes are so feminine and modern, and fuchsia is just the right shade for a fade. To re-create the ombre heart cake, try using some mini cookie cutters to cut out fondant. Then just use frosting to stick onto your cake.
7. Life’s a Peach: Pair this pretty color with gold and green for a classic style, or gray for a more modern look. Notice the use of gold doilies in the first image? Don’t forget that everyday objects can be used to spruce up your baked goods.
8. Hello, Yellow!: These sweet and sunny cakes would be so cheery at a spring or morning wedding. The frosting technique used in the first image is actually not that difficult! Just several lines of the same pattern.
9. Go Green: Cakes with bold graphic details and accents of emerald, the 2013 color of the year, feel very now. These almost have a watercolor effect, don’t they? We are loving all of the bold lines.
10. Making Waves: Blue ombré is surprisingly versatile – these cakes would work at a classic wedding or on the beach. They’d blend right into the waves!
11. Totally Juiced: We love a citrus-inspired wedding palette, and it’s pretty and punchy on your wedding cake. How cool is cake #2 here? It’s like a jigsaw puzzle of fondant.
12. Blue Crush:We love how fresh and modern a classic color can be when you let it pop against bright white. The second cake shown would fit great in Tory Burch’s office, don’t you think?
Thanks to Loverly for finding these amazing cakes!
Photo Credits: 1. Elizabeth Messina on Kiss The Groom and Jessica Claire Photography on Wedding Chicks; 2. Ruchi’s Mehendi on Maharani Weddings and Adit Studio on Maharani Weddings; 3. d. Sharp on Inspired by This and Amy Atlas on Inspired by This; 4. Sunday Romance Photography on Style Unveiled and Elizabeth Messina on Kiss The Groom; 5. Jen Huang on Style Unveiled and Erin Nicole Photography on Every Last Detail; 6. Brooke Allison Photography on Wedding Chicks and Maggie Austin Cake on Style Unveiled; 7. Katelyn James on Style Unveiled and Melissa McClure Photography on Every Last Detail; 8. Gavin Wade on Style Unveiled and Martha Stewart Weddings on Inspired by This; 9. Christa Taylor Photography on Style Unveiled and Sweet Sensations on Society Bride; 10. Whipped Bakeshop on Polka Dot Bride and Laura Barnes Photo on Laura Barnes Photo; 11. Karen Wise on The Brides Cafe and Alante Photography on Style Unveiled; 12. Adrienne Page on Snippet and Ink and Theo Milo Photography on Style Unveiled.
What’s the coolest cake you’ve ever seen? Share links with us in the comments below.