Once the stress of studying for finals and the excitement of having your graduation party have subsided, you’ll need to decompress — and if you’re anything like us, getting crafty is a surefire way to do just that. The only thing better than a “just for fun” DIY project is a DIY project that you can actually put to good use. Regardless of what you’re doing now that you’ve tossed your cap in the air, we think you can find a place for some of these items below in your new and exciting life. The best news? Not a single project in the bunch will break the bank, so you can leave all of those generous graduation gifts from family and friends untouched. Keep scrolling for details on six affordable activities you can work on before you go off and conquer the world. Go get ’em!
1. Brit + Co Design a Banner Kit ($20): Celebrate your love for tacos or — perhaps, more appropriately — use this super easy, all-materials-included kit to make a pennant in honor of your brand-new alma mater! (Sounds official, doesn’t it?) The finished product is the perfect way to bring a little school spirit and some college vibes into this next phase of your life. Better yet: The kit makes two banners, so you and your on-campus bestie can have a matching set, even if you’re going separate ways.
2. Color-Block Bookmark: Hopefully, your post-grad plans include a little extra reading — even if it’s just by the pool this summer! There’s nothing worse than losing your place in the middle of a great book, so bookmarks are a must. Who says they need to be boring pieces of scrap paper? These DIY color-block bookmarks are bright and lively, and they’ll give you one more good reason to grow your reading list (as if we needed another!). (via Idle Hands Awake)
3. Photo Styling Online Class ($29): Whatever your plan is post-grad, we’re pretty sure you’re hoping to document it pretttttty heavily. So why not make your social media posts of college or life in a new city a little prettier and more profesh? Check out this class taught by blogger and photo styling extraordinaire Meredith Staggers. We guarantee it will make your feed even more gorgeous than it already is! (Photo via Cake & Confetti)
4. Embellished Sunglasses: Wherever your summer travels take you, you’ll want to be sure you protect your eyes (and skin, of course) from the sun. Do it in style by DIY-ing a set of high-glam shades you can be sure you won’t see on any of your fellow beachgoers. All you need is an old set of sunglasses, some flat-backed embellishments, and a handy hot glue gun. It’s a totally low-budget route to a one-of-a-kind summer accessory! (via Loose Ends)
5. Brit + Co Embroider a Wall Hanging Kit ($20): Whether you’re graduating from high school or college, chances are that you’re about to make some major moves — your living situation included! With a totally affordable kit like this, there’s no excuse for drab walls. All materials and instructions are in the kit, so you don’t need any prior experience with embroidery to create an awesome piece that’ll bring your personality into your new dorm room or apartment.
6. Sequin Fried Egg Sleep Mask: We’ll take this DIY sunny side up, please. With nothing but a basic sleep mask and some inexpensive craft store basics, you can mix up (pun intended) this super cute project that will have you sleeping well and dreaming of breakfast at the same time. Who knew life could be so perfect? You’ll be well-rested and ready to tackle your next post-grad adventure. (via A Beautiful Mess)
What other projects are perfect for new grads? Tweet us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.