21 Last-Minute Graduation Gifts Every New Grad Will LOVE
That time of year is rolling around once again. Graduation party invites are showing up in your snail mail, grad caps are being thrown and the new grad in your life could *not* be more excited. Sometimes (err, every year), those ceremonies and celebrations creep up on us super quick, and suddenly you’re in need of a gift STAT. While we’re huge fans of giving a DIY graduation gift, working with a last-minute schedule usually means you’re headed straight for the cash-in-a-card gift. Skip the #basic option this year, and go for something that’s totally unique, but also easy to get your hands on. Take a peek at some of the best eleventh-hour gifts that are sure to beat a bill slipped in an envelope.
1. Rifle Paper Co. Weekly Desk Pad ($12): It’s time to give the old agenda a chic upgrade. Snag this weekly notepad so your grad will go into the real world feeling ultra organized.
2. ban.do I Am Very Busy iPhone 6/6S Case ($20): This iPhone case is perfect for the grad that just landed their first job. The nine-to-five schedule is going to leave them feeling like this case pretty much sums up their life.
3. Craft Boner Crushin’ It Felt Pennant ($12): Give them a boost of motivation with this felt pennant. They’ll thank you when they need to fill up all that wall space in their new apartment.
4. Adidas Patterned Backpack ($40): The backpack they’ve been carrying around for four years (or more!) is ready for a replacement. Help them get rid of their old JanSport by gifting this colorful Adidas backpack.
5. Prynt Inkless Photo Printer ($150): Yes, you read that right. You can now print instant photos from your iPhone, which is just what your graduate needs so they can document the next phase of their life.
6. DENY Designs Geometric Cutting Board ($35): TBH, you can never have too many cutting boards. Add this geometric wooden option to your cart to congratulate the new grad and upgrade their kitchen accessories at the same time.
7. ban.do Blah Thermal Mug ($14): Make the grad’s new early morning commute a little easier with this adorable mug that’s *anything* but blah. The only thing they hear before their AM cup of joe is probably “blah blah blah” anyways ;)
8. Rifle Paper Co. Everyday Pencils ($12): Writing to-do lists is *way* more fun and exciting when you can jot it down with pretty pencils. Snag this patterned set so they can write in their agenda in style.
9. SKEYE Mini Drone ($99): If your graduate hasn’t quite found a job yet, they’re going to have a little extra time on their hands. Pick up this mini drone to fill up their free time STAT.
10. Umbra Hanging Photo Display ($24): Just because they graduated doesn’t mean they can’t still hang pictures of their college besties. Pick up this hanging photo display so they can reminisce about the good old days.
11. Kate Spade Dipped Initial Journal ($16): When one
door journal closes, another opens. Upgrade your graduate’s notebook selection by adding this color-blocked initialed option to their stash.
12. Nashelle Monogram Swing Necklace ($48): Give your grad a little bling on their big day with this modern monogram necklace. Its simplicity makes it the *best* addition to any outfit, but the unique font ensures that it’s different from the monogrammed jewelry they already have in their collection.
13. DENY Designs Colorful Wall Tapestry ($49): Since they’re moving on to the next chapter in their life, upgrading their apartment is totally necessary. Opt for this tapestry that will add a serious punch of color to their currently-blank walls.
14. Intro to Travel Photography Online Class ($39): For the one that’s doing a little soul searchin’ abroad after graduation, opt for this photography class. They’ll learn the ins and outs of travel photography, so when they get back, you’ll get to see some seriously epic pics.
15. Kreafunk aHead Wireless Headphones ($145): Every techie needs a cute pair of wireless headphones. Go for this ultra chic pair so they can toss that only-kind-of-working pair of earbuds in the garbage.
16. Kate Spade Stamp Dot Wallet ($100): A colorfully patterned wallet with oodles of storage is exactly what a new graduate needs. This slim option is the perfect alternative to the pocket in their backpack they’ve been using for the past four years.
17. Ringly Rainbow Moonstone Smart Ring ($195): Step aside, Apple Watch. There’s a new stylish wearable in town. Your bestie will never miss another important call or meeting again, because this smart ring syncs with the Ringly app so they’re notified every time something comes up.
18. DIY Agate Slice Coasters Kit ($39): Chances are, your graduate is getting ready to move out of their college apartment and into their first adult space. Purchase this DIY coaster kit to give their new home some character.
19. Anthropologie Rainbow Tufts Basket ($20): For a new apartment, updated organization is *definitely* necessary. Help them keep their space in tip-top shape with these colorful baskets that they can use for odds and ends.
20. Motivational Wall Art ($4): This printable wall art is your answer to the ideal last-minute grad gift. Simply DL the print, stick it in a fun frame and wrap it up. It’s *that* easy to give the best gift.
21. 11+ USB Mini O-Fan ($50): A new workspace calls for some new desk accessories. Add this USB mini fan to their office so they can get through working at an A/C-less office during the summertime.
What are you giving the grad in your life? Follow us on Pinterest for even more gifting inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.