8 Ways to Ditch Stress During Pregnancy
Here you though life was stressful enough, and then that little plus sign popped up in the window of your pregnancy test. Whoa! You’re a growing ball of anxiety, and you really need to calm down — right now. It’s okay: You’ve totally got this whole mama thing. Let it go. Just feel the calm wash over you and kick that anxiety out. Yeah, that’s easier said than done. Time to check out these simple suggestions for de-stressing during pregnancy.
1. Take a baby-cation. Get out of here… literally. Leave town, and leave all those stressors behind. Pick your favorite type of place (beach, woods, city) and book a long weekend away. Oh, and there’s absolutely no rule saying this has to be a “babymoon” with your S.O. Why not take your baby-cation with your BFFs for a girls-only weekend getaway? Turn off your cell, forget about answering work emails, and book a massage.
2. Make a day of beautification. In less than nine months, your idea of a “beauty routine” will most likely include putting your half-brushed hair into an unintentionally messy bun, smoothing your super-dry hands with the baby’s lotion, and wiping the spit-up off your cheek: in other words, the opposite of a fancy salon experience. Give yourself a one-day break and beat the stress by getting beautified. Sit back, relax, and let the pros take care of your skin, hair, and nails.
3. Shop — for yourself. You’ve spent countless hours shopping for your soon-to-be baby. The sheer number of onesies you’ve already bought astonishes you. Between the gear, the gadgets, the outfits, and everything else, you’re kind of sick of shopping. What?! Hmm, maybe it’s not so much that you’re tired of shopping, but more that you’re tired of shopping for someone other than yourself. Forget the baby stuff, and take a trip to the mall (or head online) just for yourself. Forget about maternity gear. Focus on things you really don’t need but totally want. Treat yourself to a new pair of shoes, a sweet scarf, or the bag you’ve been eyeing for the past few months.
4. Get in a regular workout. You already know that exercise releases your pent-up stress. That’s probably why you hit the gym after a not-so-perfect day at work. Unless your doc says that exercise (or a specific type of physical activity) is a no-no, go ahead and take a jog, go for a swim, or take a prenatal yoga class. Not only will it take your mind off everything pregnancy, but it will also improve your mood and get your body ready for the marathon that is labor and delivery.
5. Read more about pregnancy, childbirth, and babies. Seems kind of counterintuitive, right? But sometimes arming yourself with knowledge is the only way to relax. Instead of imagining the absolute worst, learn about the reality. Sit back, kick your feet up, curl up with a book (or a blog), and educate yourself on everything to do with becoming and being a mommy.
6. Throw a movie-fest. And make it a comedic one! If the baby-centric learning opp didn’t calm you down, go in the total opposite direction. Take your mind off pregnancy with your favorite funny film. Pick an Amy Schumer, Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy lineup, and laugh your way to a stress-free day.
7. Take a bath. Maybe you don’t have the time to spare for a full-on spa getaway. That’s okay. Fill the tub with warm water and slip in for a relaxing — and quick — soak. Hit the dimmer, put soothing music, and daydream about something other than your pregnancy.
8. Cook a meal. A real meal. Pick the most Pinterest-worthy recipe you can find and try to tackle it. Don’t worry if you aren’t exactly Top Chef material. The idea here is to take your mind off anything that’s stressing you out and focus on something less anxiety-inducing. And, bonus, you get a super-tasty meal out of it. Hey, you could even freeze half of it to eat after the baby is born!
What’s your best tip for beating pregnancy stress? Tweet it to us @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)