We hope that there are some great beach parties on your agenda, and if there are, we want you to be fully prepared to look cute on the shore. You’ll need a rad towel (which you could definitely buy or DIY), the perfect summery bikini, some gadgets and games, and, of course, a cooler. Grab your sunglasses and sunscreen and then throw everything in your fave tote. But what if you have just an old boring tote? Don’t worry — just gather your paint brushes, follow this easy tutorial, and prepare yourself to be the coolest cat on the sand this summer!
Materials and Tools:
1. Take your tote bag and place tape across the top, leaving a few inches exposed, as shown below.
2. Use the acrylic to create a mark on the tape every five inches. This will help you create regular triangles. Then start painting the first shape.
3. Keep on adding triangles, as shown in the picture below.
4. Wait a couple of minutes, remove the tape, and keep on adding triangles until you’re satisfied with your pattern.
5. Use the glue gun to glue the pom-pom trim in place.
Protect your surface, then take your tote bag and place some tape across the top, leaving a few inches exposed, as shown above. Use the pink acrylic to create a mark on the tape every five inches. This will help you create regular triangles. Then start painting the first shape, adding more triangles as shown in the picture above. I used pink, fuchsia, green, and aqua, but you can definitely choose any shade that you prefer. At this point, wait a couple of minutes to let the color dry, then remove the tape and keep on adding more triangles. Repeat the last step again and again until you’re satisfied with your pattern. Finally, glue the pom-pom trim in place, and you’re done!
A modern take on the classic beach bag! The best part? You can customize the pattern and color to make it truly yours.
Will you buy or DIY a straw tote this summer? Follow us on Pinterest for more summer style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.