Forget About Princesses — This DIY Maleficent Costume Will Help You Slay Halloween
Look, we love Disney princesses as much as the next girl, but there’s no denying that the villains know a thing or two about slaying a bold brow and lip. And, as the beauty lovers we are, we can’t help but relate. Since you likely feel the same, we took it upon ourselves to break down the Sleeping Beauty protagonist’s next-level makeup look just in time for Halloween. Grab a mirror and follow along.
- hydrating serum
- makeup primer
- foundation + foundation brush
- bronzer + bronzer brush
- gray pigment
- brow makeup + angled brow brush
- brown eyeshadow + fluffy eyeshadow brush
- yellow eyeshadow + flat eyeshadow brush
- light shimmer eyeshadow
- black eyeliner
- false eyelashes
- bold red lip liner
- cherry red lipstick
- white highlighter
1. Use a hydrating serum and makeup primer to create an even base. Apply a foundation that’s a couple of shades lighter than your regular go-to to further prep for face paint.
2. Use a foundation brush to tap on a layer of white face paint to create Maleficent’s skin tone.
3. Contour your cheekbones and begin to make the shape of the Mistress of Evil’s face using a pointed bronzer brush and deep brown powder. This will allow you to start the chiseled cheekbone look.
4. Once you are happy with the shape, go over it with a deeper gray pigment to really enhance the angular appeal.
5. Use an angled brush and a deep brown face paint, brow gel, or powder to create the evil fairy godmother’s highly arched brows. To blend, go over the final look with a clean spoolie.
6. Apply a neutral brown eyeshadow in the crease of your eyes and along the lower lash line for depth.
7. Using a flat eyeshadow brush, apply yellow eyeshadow from your upper lash lines to your brow bones. Apply a lighter shimmering shadow to the center of your eyelids, your brow bones, and on the inside corners of your eyes.
8. Line your eyes using a black gel or pencil liner. Be sure to accentuate the entire eye and slightly smudge the liner on your lower lash line.
9. False lashes with an extra coat of mascara will set the eyes off.
10. Line lips with a bold red lip liner and follow up with a bright cherry lipstick. Hit the center of your lip and cupid’s bow with a white highlighter to make your lips look more exaggerated.
MALEFICENT Headpiece + Costume
1. Use tin foil to create the shape of each horn.
2. Wrap black electric tape around each horn once the shape is accurate.
3. Hot-glue the horns to a black headband and reinforce with black electrical tape at the base, as well as all the way across the flat part of the headband.
4. Place a black turban on your head and the headband with the horns right behind it. Secure with black satin fabric.
5. Place a triangle shape piece of fabric under the wrap on the center of your forehead. You can glue on or pin in place.
6. For the cape, spray paint the red part purple. When it’s dry, slit the collar into two pieces for a more unique look.
Looking for more costume inspo? Head to our Halloween page.
Production, Wardrobe, Hair, and Makeup: Misty Spinney
Photography: Kurt Andre
Model: Lindsey Graham Jones
Additional reporting by Rebecca Norris
(All photos by Brit + Co)