Warmer weather is almost here! You’ve already got cute summer swimsuits in your closet and have spent some time pruning the yard, but how’s your outdoor seating game? That one beach chair you found on the side of the road last fall is going to look pretty shabby in the spring sunshine. But since good patio furniture can be spendy, flex those DIY muscles with this list of upcycled or handmade pieces that will bring comfort *and* style to your outdoor living spaces all season long.
1. Hammock Chair: Perfect for shady hangs under a tree, this comfy seat can be customized to be the just-right accent for your space. (via Brit + Co)
2. DIY Concrete Stool: Cement is the ultimate patio furniture material because it can withstand the elements and won’t fade with time. The stool doubles as a side table or plant stand, so really it works for any space. (via Purely Katie)
3. DIY Paint-Dipped IKEA NORNÄS Outdoor Bench: This piece does it all: Seating, potting bench, plant stand, side table … It’s a yard space saver and a fun way to add functional color. (via Sarah Hearts)
4. DIY Sling Beach Chair Makeover: This is a GREAT way to freshen up a mismatched collection of beach chairs, or give your old faithful a colorful new look. Who knew those office-supply-store sticker letters could help make such a stylish piece? (via Studio DIY)
5. Boho Bench Makeover: For a decidedly more colorful vibe, pick a luxe color and stencil some pattern onto a curb-side find for the ultimate budget makeover. (via Mark Montano)
6. West Elm-Inspired DIY Striped Pouf: This stripe-happy piece was made for a fraction of the cost of the original. It’s the perfect addition to an outdoor couch situation or for when you need an extra spot to sit. (via Place Of My Taste)
7. Patio Hammock Upgrade: Don’t knock the hammock life! With the tassel trim and lace edge, this surprisingly easy DIY looks super feminine and very custom. (via Brit + Co)
8. Lounge-WorthyDaybed: If you have enough space for a daybed, it’s pretty much a crime if you don’t make one. Add shibori sheets and some shade, you’re good to go. (via DIY Network)
9. DIY Planter Bench: Turn your little piece of urban terrain into a lush oasiswith this ingenious bench. It’s seating, it’s decor, it’s perfect. (Lawn flamingos not included but highly recommended). (via Brit + Co)
10. Revamped & Reupholstered Bamboo Cane Chair: You should totally be eyeing any and all bamboo furniture for a tropical refresh. A coat of paint and a bold print are all you need to get this look. (via The Whimsical Wife)
11. DIY Embroidered Ratan Chair: Colorful yarn and a little bit of weaving will add a some razzle-dazzle to your existing pieces, like this IKEA chair. (via Brit + Co)
12. DIY Aluminum Chair Makeover: Start from scratch with a thrift store chair frame and some paracord for something ultra-practical ultra-beautiful. (via A Beautiful Mess)
Follow us for tons more backyard and patio inspiration on Pinterest!