You’ve scoured Pinterest for dorm room hacks, loaded up your meal card, and picked out your room theme, but something is still missing. If you’re planning to upgrade your dorm food, then you need to make sure you have the proper supplies to do so. You wouldn’t want to be stuck without a blender for your breakfast smoothie before class, would you? Don’t panic: We’ve found every kitchen necessity that you’ll be able to fit in your tiny space, and your RA won’t confiscate them (hopefully). Get out your planner, and take note of the 15 essentials below.
1. 12-Inch Stainless Steel Skillet With Glass Cover ($60): You obviously don’t have room for a full set of cookware, so one deep skillet will allow you to make everything from pasta to burgers. Whether you’re lucky enough to have a stove in your room or you use an induction cooktop, this one is compatible with both.
2. Hamilton Beach Personal Single Serve Blender With Travel Lid ($20): It’s no secret that it’s difficult to eat healthy when you live on campus, and skipping breakfast before your first lecture is a big no no. Smoothies are a fast way to pack in nutrients, and this single-serve blender comes with a travel lid for grab and go convenience.
3. Keurig K55 Single Serve Programmable K-Cup Pod Coffee Maker ($120): Speaking of that early class, coffee will be vital. Invest in a Keurig so that you and your roommate can make a single cup whenever you like. Plus, you’ll save tons of cash by not stopping at Starbucks every day.
4. Imarku Pro Kitchen Eight-Inch Chef’s Knife ($100): Provided your dorm will allow it, a versatile chef’s knife will enable you to chop, dice, and slice to your heart’s content.
5. Secura Portable Induction Cooktop Countertop ($100): Contrary to what you may think, not everything can be cooked in the microwave. This user-friendly induction cooktop will expand your culinary horizons, and it automatically shuts off after 60 seconds if no cookware is detected.
6. Hamilton Beach Glass Electric Kettle ($27): Sometimes all you need is hot tea and a cup of instant noodles to melt the day away. Get the job done faster with an electric kettle.
7. Daewoo Retro Microwave Oven ($100): You can’t go without a microwave, so you have to make sure that it’s the cutest one you can find. This one comes in mint green and red, so it’s sure to go with your dorm decor no matter what.
8. Elite Gourmet 1.5 Quart Slow Cooker ($13): For the price, you can’t beat this mini slow cooker that takes up barely any space.
9. Neet Organic Wooden Bamboo Cooking and Serving Utensils ($10): Just when you think you’ve got everything you need for dorm-room cooking, you remember the cooking utensils. The minimal look of this set won’t clash with the rest of your room.
10. Premium Four Piece Cutting Board Set With Stand ($40): A dorm room is no place for cross contamination, and these color-coded cutting boards will eliminate that risk. They’re easy to clean, easy to store, and your neighbors will constantly ask to borrow one.
11. Dash Mini Griddle, Waffle Maker, and Grill Three Piece Set ($35): When you don’t feel like fighting the crowd in the cafeteria, this gadget allows you to make your own waffle without having to put your pants on. The interchangeable plates mean that you can also use it as a griddle and grill.
12. Black + Decker Four-Slice Toaster Oven ($30): Sure, you can make all the toast and bagels you want in this toaster oven, but you can also cook pizza, broil cheesy bread, and bake cookies.
13. Igloo Mini Refrigerator ($130): Without question, the most important of your dorm room appliances is your mini fridge. Not only is this one hella cute, but it comes in four colors, and it has a bottle opener on the side.
14. Hedgehog Measuring Cups ($32): These hedgehog measuring cups will help you add the right amount of water to your oatmeal, and they’ll look pretty adorable while doing it. Each cup stacks on top of one another, so when not in use, they look like chic shelf decor.
15. Cuisinart Deluxe Electric Can Opener ($40): There’s no frustration quite like trying to get a manual can opener to work properly. Save the stress for your final exams and upgrade to an electric version that gets the job done seamlessly.
Follow us on Pinterest for more dorm inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.