15 Tasty Ways to Upgrade Dorm Food
The dorm room experience doesn’t have to mean mac n’cheese for every meal. All you need to make the following recipes is a microwave. With the help of a few cupboard staples, you can instantly upgrade the most basic dorm food into a gourmet experience. Get ready to wow your roomies with your culinary prowess.
1. Three Ingredient Chia Pudding: Sugary cereal will cause you to crash well before lunchtime. This recipe is healthful and easy, and will keep you full much longer. Bonus: all you need to make it is chia seeds, milk and honey. (via Say Yes)
2. French Toast in a Cup: Meals in a mug are the coolest thing ever, especially when it’s a mug of eggy, cinnamon toast topped with a good amount of maple syrup. 8 a.m. classes are looking just a little bit more bearable, aren’t they? (via Pretty Prudent)
3. Cinnamon Maple Quinoa: Warm, comforting, healthy and gluten-free, this breakfast is perfect for those with dietary restrictions. Take it up a notch with the addition of fresh fruit. (via Lauren’s Latest)
4. DIY Cappuccino: Money can get a little tight in college, so save yourself a few dollars and make your own milk froth in your dorm room microwave. We’re not promising latte art, but it will taste pretty close to the real thing. (via Seeded at the Table)
7. Microwave Risotto: Risotto may seem like one of those things you can only get in a nice restaurant, but you can totally treat yourself to a good meal in just a couple minutes. You can get extra fancy by adding some mushrooms or asparagus or just a dash of half and half at the end. (via Tastefully Julie)
8. Ramen Upgrade: It wouldn’t be college life without a few ramen dinners, but that doesn’t mean you can’t upgrade those cheap packets into a fantastic, even filling, dinner. Add a handful of veggies, a squeeze of lime and some protein for an inexpensively delicious meal. (via Serious Eats)
10. Iron Grilled Cheese: Did you know you can make grilled cheese with an iron and some aluminum foil? Go wild and add basil, tomatoes and roasted red peppers. Or amp things up with a Cuban grilled cheese (pickles, Swiss and ham). The combinations are endless. (via BS in the Kitchen)
11. Updated Quesadilla: We understand the greasy cravings, but you can make a much healthier option with whole-wheat tortillas, grilled chicken, reduced-fat cheddar cheese and some slices of avocado inside before you cook it in the microwave. (via Cookin’ Canuk)
12. Tortilla Pizza: Have a pizza party in your room and let everyone come up with their own toppings. Lay a tortilla on a plate, spread tomato sauce on top, sprinkle mozzarella cheese and add toppings. (via Food and the City)
13. Baked Sweet Potato: All you need is a microwave and 10 minutes to make a baked potato. Just make sure you puncture the potato several times with a fork before microwaving. You can fill yours with anything, but black beans, sour cream, avocado and a sprinkling of cilantro is a great way to satisfy those Mexican-food cravings. (via Host the Toast)
15. Easy Microwave Fudge: You’ll have all the boys in your yard if they catch whiff of this chocolatey fudge. You’ll only need three ingredients to make this fudge — four if you count the nuts. (via Nordic Food and Living)
What are your favorite ways to upgrade dorm food? Share your tips in the comments below!