Encaustic tile is a not-so-new trend that brings in a durable material like cement and beautiful patterns that will liven up any room. These colorful looks have actually been around since medieval times and are coming back in a big way (pattern love forever!). Whether you’re fond of intricate, Moroccan-inspired designs or modern geometric shapes, they all have a certain “been here forever” rustic charm. Before you break ground on your plans for a new kitchen backsplash or updated bathroom floor, check out these 11 inspiring rooms that showcase the versatility of this tile trend.
1. Marble + Tile: Give your kitchen even more cool factor with a patterned tile floor. A subtle gray and white design goes great with marble countertops, bold cabinets and that gold hardware the home decor world can’t get enough of. (via Cle Tile)
2. Bold Blue: The simplest color palettes are often the most striking. With a backsplash this bold, it’s practically a requirement that you go shopping for a new, colorful collection of dishes. (via HGTV)
3. Backsplash of Pattern: In a kitchen with only open shelving, you’re left with a lot of wall space begging to be decorated. An intricate black and white backsplash can come to the rescue and serve as the focal point, balanced against dark blue cabinets. (via Emily Henderson)
4. Multiple Tile Bathroom: There are three different tile patterns going on in this bathroom, but because the color scheme is very simple, the result is fabulous. The geometric blue and hexagonal tiles around the bathtub add so much texture and elegance to the decor that you just wouldn’t get with only one tile pattern. (via My Paradissi)
5. Tile Fireplace: A subtle floral tile brings just the right amount of color into the minimalist look of this living room. Cement tiles age beautifully, so you won’t have to worry about wear and tear, especially around the fireplace. (via Lark and Linen)
6. Cool Blue: Use color and cement tiles that are bright and cheerful to give a Mediterranean vibe to your space. The tiles look beautiful when they’re polished, but they take on a vintage (and totally awesome) effect as they fade and crack. (via Chad McPhail Design)
7. Quilted Backsplash: If you want to mix your patterns (or you can’t decide which design you like best), pick out tiles in a similar color palette to play up the texture without overwhelming the space. (via The Design Files)
8. Geometric Bathroom Tile: Geometric tiles are a great alternative to the Moroccan or Mediterranean vibe of many cement tiles. A cool pattern like this one can really add some personality to a small bathroom, especially if you paint the door to match the darker color, to carry the eye back up. (via Domino)
9. Monochromatic Glam: You won’t want to lay down a rug with a bathroom floor this gorgeous. Gray and white tiles go with everything, so it’s perfect for switching out your bathroom accents with a new color every so often. (via Homepolish)
10. Black + White Focal Point: The geometric pattern on this fireplace really makes a statement. To keep the pattern the focal point, stick with a fairly neutral color scheme to avoid the room looking like the inside of a kaleidoscope. (via Cle Tile)
11. Kitchen Island Tile: Think outside the backsplash when it comes to kitchen tile. The island doesn’t get a lot of personalization, so jazz things up with a tile accent on one side. Adding tile to an unexpected space (like underneath, where the stools tuck away) will take your tile game straight to the top. (via Inside Antwerp)
Can’t get enough of these tile patterns? Follow us on Pinterest for even more home decor inspo!