Everything You Need for the Ultimate Adult Kitchen
Your first kitchen can feel both daunting and exciting. Even though you’ve daydreamed about your own space for years, the reality of starting from scratch suddenly feels a little overwhelming. Who knew there were so many storage options? And don’t even get us started on the knives.
Now that you’re officially adulting, it’s time to stock up on the essentials. There are homemade meals to cook, friends to host, and healthy habits to establish. That’s why we’ve teamed up with OXO, our go-to for all things kitchen! Together, we’ll show you what tools are worth the investment and how they can make nailing adulthood a breeze.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it all happen:
1. A Spiralizer to Keep up with Meatless Mondays: Did you know that by choosing to go without meat one day of the week, you can increase your own health and the health of the planet by 15 percent? But, let’s face it — practicing what you preach can be hard. After a long day at work, it’s tempting to abandon the cause and default back to your go-to meat dish.
The solution: OXO’s Hand-Held Spiralizer helps keep veggies simple, quick, and interesting throughout the week. This baby will spiralize pretty much anything — potatoes, carrots, zucchini, and more.
2. A Container Set to Keep Your Snacks Fresh: You’ve heard the phrase “never settle,” and now it’s time to put it to the test when it comes to snacking. After all, you’re a grown woman and you deserve more than stale pretzels and chips! It’s high time you raised the bar with some proper storage.
You’ll love this 10-Piece POP Container Set from OXO because the variety of sizes leave plenty of room for flexibility. From tucking a few cookies away for an afternoon pick-me-up or keeping those Fruit Loops from going stale, these guys are the solution for all of your snacking needs.
3. A Pour-Over to Level up Your Morning Coffee Game: When it comes to your caffeine buzz first thing in the day, you want minimal time investment. Every extra minute in bed counts after a late night of TV binging! But that doesn’t mean you should have to compromise for anything less than a coffee shop-quality cup of joe.
OXO’s latest Pour-Over Coffee Maker with Water Tank will quickly become your go-to for nailing busy mornings. Just add water and the built-in water tank will distribute hot water evenly over coffee grounds. Now your time can be freed up for more important tasks, like packing a healthy lunch for work, calling Mom, and choosing an outfit that will wow coworkers.
4. A Full Knife Set to Keep Your Skills Sharp: Though these tend to be an investment, it’s for a good reason! There are few tools more essential than a good set of knives that will last for years. Make your dollars count by starting with a collection that will cover you from A to Z as you build your knowledge in the kitchen.
With a wide selection of knives like parer, santoku, and more, the OXO 17 Piece Knife Block Set will help you chop and slice with confidence. In the years to come, you’ll be sure to thank yourself for making such a sharp purchase.
5. A Salad Spinner to Nail Cooking at Home: Taking care of your body is a top priority. That means plenty of outdoor activity, prioritizing sleep, and most importantly: plenty of greens!
You’ve already committed to a daily run and only shop at the local farmers’ market. Now it’s time to treat yourself to a tool that will help you make a delicious salad at home, rather than grabbing one at the expensive cafe down the street. Yours will be just as tasty and cost a fraction of the price, and you’ll know exactly what you’re putting in your body! This OXO Salad Spinner will help you avoid the rookie mistake of having soggy greens by quickly drying out your lettuce with no effort. Sounds like you’ll be well on your way to salad heaven!
6. A Cooling Rack to Bake Your Way into Hearts: Now that you have your own place, your pals will no doubt be begging to come over for the full tour. Stay one step ahead of the game by popping some homemade cookies in the oven. The smell of fresh baked goods wafting through the air will immediately give your guests a warm welcome.
Keep a few good baking tools around, like this Non-Stick Cooling and Baking Rack, to do the trick. You’ll be hard-pressed to meet a friend who can’t be won over by dessert! Especially when it’s made with love.
From eating more veggies to simplifying your morning routine, stocking your kitchen with these necessities will help you nail this transition into adulthood.
PSST: Between 9/12/18 and 10/10/18, head over to OXO for a chance to win over *$500 worth of adulting must-haves* for yourself!
Which kitchen essential are you most excited about? Share with us on Twitter by tagging @BritandCo and @OXO.
Author: Kayla Haykin
Production & Styling: Kayla Haykin & Amanda Anselmino
Photography: Brittany Griffin
Modeling: Natasha Thomas, Kayla Haykin, & Kris Stewart